• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I swap a PNG from the bin with one in the timeline and keep the effects keys?

Engaged ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a sequence with a PNG that has some animated effects.  I duplicated the sequence, and now I want replace the PNG with one that I imported to the bin, while keeping all the effects and keyframes in place.  I tried the right-click menu, but Replace Clip From is grayed out, so perhaps that doesn't work with PNGs.  In After Effects this is very easy with Alt-drag, but I'm not finding it in Premiere.  Does anyone know how I can do this?  Thank you!

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Have you tried dragging from the project to the program monitor and drop on the replace option?  Or, selecting the png in the timeline as is, copy, then replacing the png in the timeline and right click (or use the edit menu) to "paste attributes"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

I had no problem replacing a png using the right click method.

I could get the "replace" to grey out if a) I had no item selected in the Project Panel or b) the item selected was not a png.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried dragging from the project to the program monitor and drop on the replace option?  Or, selecting the png in the timeline as is, copy, then replacing the png in the timeline and right click (or use the edit menu) to "paste attributes"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, mgrenadier, your first suggestion didn't work, but your second one works great 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried my first suggestion and it worked.  Happy to walk thru the process in detail if you want...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, just so the rest of the thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried the first suggestion, it replaced, but did so making a cut and insert without keeping the effects.  If you want to give details, I'd be interested for the sake of learning and having more options up my sleeve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited a png into my timeline (a standard 1080 sequence) and added a few rotation key frames and then copied the clip a couple of times each to a higher video track (just to hopefully make things clearer).  I then selectScreen Shot 2022-10-14 at 9.39.53 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-14 at 9.38.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-14 at 9.36.58 AM.png the second clip in the timeline (which may have been the step you missed) and then dragged a different png to the program monitor on the replace overlay.    I've attached 3 screen shots of the process that will hopefull make it clearer.   if not, post back and maybe I can do a screen recording... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, mgrenadier, that makes it clear!  I appreciate you doing this for me!  You're right, I must have missed selecting something before.  It works now! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no problem replacing a png using the right click method.

I could get the "replace" to grey out if a) I had no item selected in the Project Panel or b) the item selected was not a png.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Stan, it worked this time!  I just not have had it selected in the project before, because this time "replace" was available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines