• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can Playhead (CTI) follow the mouse scroll movement?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just switched my editing tool from iMovie to Adobe Premier Pro, but there's one issue.

No matter how I searched, there's no way to naturally move the playhead as the mouse scrolls.

Or is it possible?

It was normal in iMovie and I'm now really disappointed.

*Sorry if my English is not good.

What I want to say is that I want the playhead to move accordingly when I randomly scroll the mouse on workspace. 

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

In iMovie, the skimmer scrolls with mouse movements across the timeline. You (re)postion the playhead by scrolling with the mouse and when the skimmer is at the place you want, you click down to place the playhead there.

Premiere Pro does not have a skimmer function, so if you want to emulate the hover scrub function, click down on the playhead in the timebar at the top of the timeline and drag the playhead.  This will move the playhead and show you what is under the playhead as it is being move

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

In Premiere Pro it's called Hovers Scrub and you can do it while Icon View is selected in the Project tab.

It would be great if it also worked in the Source tab, Program tab, and Timeline tab, but it does not.

If you choose to post a feature request, simply put "Enable Hover Scrub in Source, Project, and Timeline.

If you happen to have a multi-button, programmable mouse, it's possible to set one of the buttons to click and hold.  Certainly not the same thing.

If your mouse has a scroll w

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In iMovie, the skimmer scrolls with mouse movements across the timeline. You (re)postion the playhead by scrolling with the mouse and when the skimmer is at the place you want, you click down to place the playhead there.

Premiere Pro does not have a skimmer function, so if you want to emulate the hover scrub function, click down on the playhead in the timebar at the top of the timeline and drag the playhead.  This will move the playhead and show you what is under the playhead as it is being moved.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. i understand.

But why no skimmer function? 

Premier Pro seems really amazing and high-tech with lots of exciting editing functions. But without skimmer, it's not as convenient as i expected. Should it be one of the simplest functions, or is it in fact super difficult or confusing to build in? 

Anyway thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all depends on what you are used to.

I have no need for a skimmer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each editing software application is different, and works differently.

When you change editing applications, you need to work the way that application is designed to work to enjoy its full potential.

If you feel that not having a timeline skimmer is a deal-breaker that you can't overcome, you need to work in an app like iMovie or FCP-X that has the function.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean

I really want Premier Pro to include Skimmer technique as an option in future. If someone sees this.

I've watched all tutorials for Premier Pro beginners

and one of the tutorials says "Premier Pro's unique and great part is that you can scroll and see your video material on Project Window." *It was in Japanese.

and i felt Wow.

I was curious why they have that mind and designed that way, and still do not use that same technique on the actual editing.

Beside this, Premier Pro is absolutely beyond the best. So yes. Now for my best, i edit on iMovie and finalize on Premier Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere Pro it's called Hovers Scrub and you can do it while Icon View is selected in the Project tab.

It would be great if it also worked in the Source tab, Program tab, and Timeline tab, but it does not.

If you choose to post a feature request, simply put "Enable Hover Scrub in Source, Project, and Timeline.

If you happen to have a multi-button, programmable mouse, it's possible to set one of the buttons to click and hold.  Certainly not the same thing.

If your mouse has a scroll wheel, that can work to shuttle through footage in the Source and Program, but it really isn't the same a iMovie and Final Cut Pro X Skimming.

There's a mouse that I really like by Logitech (Logitech MX Anywhere 2S Wireless Mouse) that has a speed-adaptive scroll wheel with two modes.  When set to freespin mode, it allows you to move very, very quickly through footage in the Source and Program.  When set to ratchet mode, it allows you to move very precisely.  Once you get used to it, it's hard not to have it available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Thank you very much!!!!!

So now I can do what i was trying to do on Program instead, and it does function very well!!

I mean when i scroll on Program and stop at a certain point and click my mouse button there to make some action, my action reflects on Timeline.

All I need now is the good mouse you recommended. 

Now I can start using Premier Pro as my editing buddy. 

Seriously Thank You Very Much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a script that does just this. I have many script that I might make publicly available.

https://github.com/gowcoizer/Premiere-Pro-Mouse-Skimming/blob/main/README.md

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need skimmer function in PP, I agreed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a script that does just this. I have many script that I might make publicly available.

https://github.com/gowcoizer/Premiere-Pro-Mouse-Skimming/blob/main/README.md

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hope you can do it on a mac.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Move playhead to cursor" hotkey will help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines