• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how can you change the length of the timeline in 15 seconds?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a long time searching, and maybe this is a stupid question but I am distraught. I would like to make a video of 15 seconds in premiere pro but the time line will continue until 02:30. I've tried everything for example change the general settings but I can not change the during of the timeline.. Is there someone who knows how is should? And can explain it easily? Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

It doesn't matter how "long" the timeline is - you can use the + and - keys to zoom in and out. What matters is the CLIPS you have added to the timeline, starting from the left. If your clips only go to the 15-second mark, and you Export your video, the exported clip will only be 15 seconds, to match the media on the timeline - it does not export "blank" areas to the right of last clip. So it doesn't matter. You might be thinking of After Effects where you do set a duration for the Composition.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, is your video only 15 seconds, or is your video actually two and a half minutes?

Timeline too long (orphans) http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652216?tstart=30

-says Premiere Elements, idea may also apply for a Premiere Pro timeline

If your video is 2:30 and you only want to export a 15 second segment, you need to learn about using IN-OUT points to select

CS5-thru-CC PPro/Encore tutorial list http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1448923 has lots of links to help learn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I have not yet a video that I use, it's just a question about the timeline. The timeline is now 2:30 minutes but I want the timeline takes 15 seconds .. is that possible to change? In the sequence it was not possible to change for me. The links you gave me are somewhat unclear to me, because i'm not very good at English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your timeline doesn't have any duration until you start putting clips into it.  I'm not sure where you are seeing 2:30 minutes but if the timeline is empty, it doesn't have any duration.  Once you start putting in clips it will grow to be the length of the clips you add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allynn, you are right about that, that is why I think it has to do with the sequence settings ..

this.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter how "long" the timeline is - you can use the + and - keys to zoom in and out. What matters is the CLIPS you have added to the timeline, starting from the left. If your clips only go to the 15-second mark, and you Export your video, the exported clip will only be 15 seconds, to match the media on the timeline - it does not export "blank" areas to the right of last clip. So it doesn't matter. You might be thinking of After Effects where you do set a duration for the Composition.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlike in After Effects (where I think the confusion is stemming from), you do not specify the duration of the timeline explicitly in Premiere.

Add your clips to a timeline and then just export as needed.

You can choose what you want to export by setting in/out points.  If you don't set any in/out points, Premiere will export the length of the clips on the timeline. So even if your timeline shows numbering up to 2:30, if your clips are only 15 seconds long,  then that is what Premiere will export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is not my experience as I'm in Premier pro and it must be something with in and out points. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of you, thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark in and Mark out before you export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks heaps, this fixed the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably looking for the functionality of those other editing systems, which is the playhead just goes over the area on which you want it to work or on the clips you have already added and does not go past the end of those clips.

You simulate this functionality using In and Out Markers and a combination of the following:  Loop State Button (on toolbar, keys: space bar, ctl-spacebar, shift-ctl-spacebar

Functionaly: when hitting the spacebar, playhead stays within my videos:

Mark begin and end point (IN / OUT markers), then set LOOP state button to depressed.  Hitting spacebar loops playhead in specified interval.

With LOOP button off:

spacebar starts at current position ignoring IN/OUT and marches resolutely onward.

ctl-spacebar starts at current position and plays until the OUT marker and stops.

shift-ctl-spacebar jumps to the IN marker and plays until the OUT marker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines