Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I call ExtendScript functions from Javascript

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am struggling to connect JS and Extendscript. To start, my folder path is workspace/client/index.js and workspace/host/index.jsx.

My JS code is:

Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 8.00.07 PM.png

and my JSX code is:

Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 8.00.30 PM.png

I want to return the path, start, and end times from Extendscript, but I'm not getting any return value from JS. What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm not getting any return value from JS" - I meant JSX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I just realized that I'm missing a bracket, but after fixing that it still did not print the return value. I added a simple console.log("hi"); before the evalScript and that printed out though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I removed the brackets from getInfo() in  ' csInterface.evalScript("getInfo()", function(array_string) ' and it printed the whole entire function as a string. Not what I intended, but at least that's something. What went awry? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 11.39.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized that getInfo returns a string of the function which is why it works. 

my jsx looks like this now:

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 12.13.48 PM.png

and my js looks like this:

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 12.14.48 PM.png

However, I'm getting an EvalScript Error and I don't know why.

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 12.15.23 PM.png

Can somebody help? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PProPanel offers multiple examples of getting data across the ExtendScript <--> JavaScript boundary. 

Also, when calling evalScript() within JavaScript, you'll need to include the outermost layer of ExtendScript defintion, so you'd reference '$._FUNCTIONS.getInfo', not 'getInfo'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bruce! 

I tried referencing the function as you stated, but I am not printing anything out to the debug console except for the "hello" before I call evalScript().

This is my js code right now:

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 4.51.51 PM.png

This is my jsx code:

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 4.53.01 PM.png

Ideally, getInfo() should return "hi" and then be printed out to the console, but at the moment it's not working. If I change .getInfo() to .printHi() though, it does print "hi" which is very puzzling. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the post and they cited another post that helped them solve the issue. However, the one that they cited doesn't exist anymore, and they solved their problem by removing a manifest reference to an empty jsx file, which for me isn't empty. I tried to debug the code again and then I found out that the getInfo works when I just have a return "hi" statement, but fails to return anything when I copy my extendscript code into the function. I checked my extendscript code separately using the debugger before and it works, so is there anything else that would cause the return to fail? Thank you!

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 5.37.07 PM.png

^fails

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes no sense.

Send me the actual extension, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link isn't working for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Weird; the link is just my email address. 🙂 

bbb@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your original post is only tagged with "How to." Tag it also with "SDK."

Stan

@Bruce Bullis 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines