• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the source monitor's aspect ratio to be vertical 9:16?

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Premiere Pro on Windows 10. I am editing a vertical video and I changed the program monitor to 9:16 aspect ratio however when I open any clips in the source monitor panel, the monitor is set horizontal 16:9. I applied a 'transform' master clip effect to the files to get them in the right orientation but that doesn't make the source monitor flip.

How do I do this? Thank you.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

On mac, go to the source footage in finder. Select galery as your viewing option. Select all footage you will use in your edit, then hit the rotate button at the right corner of the menu. Once all footage is rotated to vertical, load them into premiere. Now the source monitor will recognize the vertical format as the original orientation and eventually the aspect ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the rotated sequence as a source clip in the source monitor  

• Use the whole rotated clip in a new sequence, and change the frame size in the sequence setting. 

• Now the program monitor should show the video as you expect.   

• And then open the sequence in the source monitor, the SM should also display normally.    
  • Create another sequence and use the rotated SM from now on.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open the sequence setting right click on the sequence in the project panel 

open the sequence in the source monitor and also in the project panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Final Cut Pro and create a new project or open an existing project. Import your video footage into the project. Drag the video clip to the timeline. In the Viewer window, click on the drop-down menu that displays the video resolution and aspect ratio. Select "Vertical 9:16" or "Custom" if available. Adjust the position and scale of the video clip in the Viewer window to fit the vertical aspect ratio. Please note that the exact steps and terminology may vary slightly depending on the version of the software you are using. If you're using a different video editing software, consult the software's documentation or help resources for specific instructions on changing the aspect ratio of the source monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is one way to go about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is one way to go about it.

By @Sami Succar

Your gif is too big (stretched over two monitors) there for unreadable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On mac, go to the source footage in finder. Select galery as your viewing option. Select all footage you will use in your edit, then hit the rotate button at the right corner of the menu. Once all footage is rotated to vertical, load them into premiere. Now the source monitor will recognize the vertical format as the original orientation and eventually the aspect ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I was looking for. Big thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to do this on Windows? I don't know people have managed to get so confused with what it means to rotate in the Source Monitor alone, without the need for convoluted work arounds, including using other editing software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@BCMG 

The Source panel represents the source footage as it was recorded.

You could create a feature request to override that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines