• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I reduce lag when speed ramping 120fps videos in Premiere Pro?

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding why my plackback lags whenever I speed ramp my 120fps footage past 250%.

• I'm shooting 120fps using my Sony a6400.
  • I've uploaded a clip to the sequence by choosing "New sequence from clip", which defaults to 119.88fps; 1920X1080.
  • On the clip itself, I choose "time remapping; speed" and make two points and increase that area to 250+%, which when I play it back, it lags pretty bad. Playing the clip with a speed ramp less than 250% works just fine!

I have CUDA enabled, have playback resolution set to 1/4, increased my RAM usage for PP to 29GB (MAX), cleared out cache, and I'm still getting lag!

Can anyone possibly give some tips or things I can do to not have this lag occur? I feel like I have a pretty dang good computer, so I'm not sure why this is happening when I've seen people on YouTube have their 120fps 1080 clips speed ramp to 1000% and have zero lag without them pre-rendering or creating proxies AND on a Mac!

Here's my computer specs:

CYBERPower PC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60GHz
RAM: 32GB

GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER

STORAGE: 500GB SSD

Thank you for your help!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem however starting past 600%. 

25fps timeline

100fps interpreted to 25
now in order to have it at normalne speed I have to speed it up 400% that works fine. 

Going over 600% creates a weird lag showing only 1 or 2 frames when I am scrolling through the frames. If I would export it everything is ok in the exported video.

Any advice?

TY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would expect lag and other playback issues if that is long-GOP media directly from the camera. An mp4/mov file basically. Sony's AVCHD is also typically long-GOP. That format records only a complete frame every 9-30 or more 'frames', and in between records data-sets of the pixels that 1) will change before the next complete "i-frame", 2) have changed since the last i-frame, or 3) both.

So the computer, for every frame, has to find the right two (at times 3!) iframes, decompress them, load the dataset, compute the pixels for that frame from comparing the iframes & dataset, rinse and repeat.

For every frame.

Now, when you speedramp, you make Premiere also throw some out or add some frames in depending on direction of your ramp.

That's a ton of processing. Your settings in Preferences for hardware encoding/decoding need to be set correctly for your machine. So go to the Edit/Preferences/Media tab, and try working with the H.264 encoding and decoding settings at the bottom of the tab. Depending on the CPU, you may need those set one way or another.

This video by Andy my help ... also, transcoding to an intraframe codec like Cineform, ProRes, or DNxHD/R can help in playback. Proxies can be problematic with time-remapped footage.

Neil

FAQ: My CPU is stuck at 100% ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All well said

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your excellent reply. It directed me to find the problem which is indeed related to settings. I sorted it by using software render (you can find it in File/project setting) in this project.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello! I am experiencing the same issue that you were regarding sped up footage lagging when playing back on the timeline. I was wondering what settings you changed in order to get the clip to play properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines