• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i set default color space settings?

Engaged ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently when I import a source video file, Premiere uses the color space LUT from that file. So for a Sony A7III file... it uses tge Sony S-Log3/S0Gamut3.Cine color space. I then have to manally interpret the file and force it to use color space override Rec 709.

Before Premiere always ignored the clip's LUT... but I'm not sure if I changed some setting because now it always used the clip's color space (if one exists). Is there a setting that I can change to ignore the baked-in LUT?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They completely rebuilt the underlying color system for Pr2022 ... the math, the handling of defaults, the handling of color spaces and dynamic range, plus adding controls for some of these unfortunately spread out all over the application.

There isn't any one spot a user can go to, in order to either set defaults, or check what is happening. You have to hunt around, which is why I've put in a UserVoice request for a single full Color Management Panel, like the other full Panels ... that would hold all color management and defaults/overrides.

Color Management Panel

As to what is happening for your clips: Premiere isn't (normally) using the LUT from the file ... what you're seeing is that it is mis-interpreting a log-encoded file as an HDR file. Why?

Something most users don't realize: while some Rec.709/SDR media is log-encoded, all HDR media is log-encoded. And Pr2022 mis-applies the assumption of an "intended" HDR/HLG 'space' to many camera-produced log encoded media clips. But not all ... yea, it's messy at the moment.

Which is why you need to use the Override option. And I know in the public beta they have a particularly good Override to S-log3.cine option. Might have made it into the 'shipping' version, but I haven't checked.

I hope you know, you can of course batch apply that to many clips at once in a bin.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil... thanks for the reply. Yes, I just realized this after coming across your FAQ post. Currenly I'm doing a batch interpret footage which isn't too much of a hassle. It's just mildly annoying when I open an older project and see all my coloring is completey different and then have to manually correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yea, moving any prior projects in is a right royal  ... redo. Sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines