• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you disable the new import window? because it's not working!

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even create new project becuaes of the new import window.

It's slow and difficult to select the footage and folders.

By default it select all the folders and files and navigating through the folders is really slow and lagging.

Is there a way you can disable it?

TOPICS
Editing , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

You cannot disable this new import window.

You can bypass by making a new project name and location and hit CREATE.

Now you can import via the Project window or Media Browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot disable this new import window.

You can bypass by making a new project name and location and hit CREATE.

Now you can import via the Project window or Media Browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

This import window needs a lot of improvements.

Don't know why it's slow and lagging, maybe because it's writen in JS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This window could be optional in the preferences? It ruined my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have no more need to use the new options on the "import" page than the options on the old one ... which you probably rarely used.

As before, type a project name, select a location, click Create. Same process, just different locations. And the Create button is too far away.

They never expected experienced users to use that dialog setup ... it's for simple projects and new users.

So again ... as before, give a project name, location, click Create ... and then use the Project panel or the MediaBrowser to setup you project as always. Same old same old.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am with Fred on this one. Nobody asked for a gimicky and completely unneccesary beautification feature that should at least be optional, especially if it is geared toward inexperienced/new users. Not to mention it *appears* that you are required to choose a media file before creating the project. Very unhelpful when it comes to workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to select media in order to make the project.

Just fill in the project name and path and hit Create.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Nobody asked for ... "

And you know this because ... you're omniscient or something? You didn't ask for it. I didn't ask for it. Doesn't mean that others didn't.

Which you and I would never know, would we? I mean, for some reason, they don't include me in the email/message chains when someone request something, odd as it may seem.

And the old dialog was confusing for a lot of noob users ... what are all these things, what do they do, and why would I want to set them where? Referring to all the settings for cache and preview file locations & such.

But I did get a round with the M&E people back while this new UI page thing was first being tested out a year or so back. An hour and a bit more of "If you saw this, what would you expect to do next?" ... and "With three options like this, what would you expect them to do?" ... as I said, a bit over an hour of that.

They had quite a few users from all over the world go through those sessions, so they did do a bunch of testing. With users ... and got opinions.

Now, you and I don't particularly like or will ever use the new Import page, true.

But the steps we use to create a new project have not changed. Name the thing, set a location, click create, go to the Project or MediaBrowser panels to add assets.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be true except for the fact that when it changes from "Edit" to "Export" it changes your workspace layout and doesn't revert it once it goes back to "Edit" after the export is done. Therefore you have to go and change the workspace manually and change it back to your normal workspace to even be able to select the correct timeline to export. This totally henders anyone's normal workflow. This is not just Adobe, but the Foundry, Autodesk, you name it. The people who develop the software do not use it in a real world setting. To change a UI that has been perfectly fine is entirely useless and a waste of developmental resources when the program can't even properly import and EXR sequence with ability to color mange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It stinks and adobe does not care to listen to anyone except their sycophants.   Adobe does not want to fix the import fiasco for adobe premiere and like politicians refuse to see that there is a PROBLEM!  Adobe does not want to make blur more powerful in photoshop and once again like politicians refuse to see that there is a PROBLEM.  Seems to be a running theme for the world!  Anyone to want to discuss if air or water is a basic human right?  Or if the sky is sometimes blue?

Get a clue Adobe, your clients are looking for alternatives to your software as I write this and the numbers are growing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain the "import fiasco" ... I'm puzzled by that claim.

They added a simple way to start a project for some users, and left the previous methods totally untouched.

So ... apparently, the 'fiasco' ... is they included a simpler project start process for new users or something? You don't like making something easier for noobs? What? The new import process shouldn't have any effect on any advanced user.

And I've posted epic rants here on what I've felt were stupid things the teams have done. Back to the decision to EOL SpeedGrade rather than simply updating the code. And many, many others.

I've also complained in-person with the project managers about things at every NAB since 2014. Including this year's resumption of NAB/Vegas.

For another example, the rollout of the new color management system was in my view handled ... poorly, to be polite. That's been a mess. And yes, I've made that clear on this forum and in person.

Complaining about adding a simple project start option ... without, again, restricting or CHANGING in any way the previous advanced methods ... is just to me bizarre. Compared to other things.

There's far more reason to complain about the color management, the new export page, the ... well, I've got rather too long a list to list them all. But then, I expect any user to have their list of irritations. I certainly have them for every program I use ... including Resolve. Which drives me batty.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much does Adobe pay you to be such a fanboy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A worthwhile suggestion on public forums, where we can't see and react with each other, is to assume a bit of politeness. And also, to realize that not everyone thinks the same way that you, me, or anyone does. We are all different from each other.

And most of the comments here, even some of mine, where people have said X was done because Y ... have been way off the mark, if you actually talk with both the devs and a bit wider array of users.

So I don't expect anyone to either see things, think things, or work in things the way I do.

As I've noted over and over, but hey, people don't actually read and think it seems ... I'm not a fan of the Import page/Export page change. Never will probably find the Import page a good use case for my work, and definitely liked the old Export dialog better.

But as someone who actually like ... you know, pays attention to other users ... not assuming I'm the most brilliant person here ... I found that for a lot of folks, including some Major Corporate Inhouse video teams, TV newsrooms, whatnot, that Import page is a total JOY.

Well ... ok, so it ain't for me. But I'm not crazy enough to tell other users they shouldn't like that new tool for them. Even though I don't use it.

But hey ... Name, Location, and could they please let us simply tab to Create? That would fix that, wouldn't be any different than before.

And as I've also noted around here repeatedly, the old export process was to me more clear and direct. I found the new one simply ... annoying.

So I spent a few minutes. Completely unfavorited all export presets, and then went through "starring" only those I would use. And altered to save a few more as needs arise.

And gee ... that annoying page thing isn't as annoying. (Still a bit, but at least not nearly as bad ... )

Because ... I'm a practical person. Yea, the change was annoying. But I could do something practical to reduce annoyance.

And ... I recognize that others, unlike me, love both. Weird as that seems to me.

And that, as far as you can tell, makes me a "fan boy".

Also ... very weird. A bit of a hoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just validated what I said. Nobody, without compensation, would have just spent the time it took for you to respond the way you did to something that is objectively not an efficient use of developmental resources on behalf of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As baseless an assumption as your first one. I'm not getting paid. I routinely tick off staffers. But I type fast and read fast, so therefore you make assumptions.

Whatever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baseless as you might think, you may type and read fast but you can't work efficiently with a thoughtlessly developed UI like we're discussing here.

We have 70 deliverables, each takes 45 seconds to layoff. That is 52.5 minutes. You add an additional 20 seconds each as we're forced to navigate a clunky UI to get back to our timelines after exporting to get to the next one, you've just added over 20 minutes to your total time to layoff deliverables. Losing that much time over 100's of projects across 100's of artists for a large edit house becomes a significant loss of revenue. It's simple math.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't disagree with any of that. And that specific problem has been mentioned several times. My "druthers"?

As stated so often, that we could choose the old export dialog. Instead, we got the "quick export" icon/process.

Which only works in particular usage.

Of course, there are major things that annoy me in I think every app I've used. Including several NLEs.

Premiere is less annoying to me than Resolve. Ah well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. The new Project window with the built in Import is a disaserious design. I am no video pro, but this level of "hold my hand" has so many options is beyound confusing and over welming.

I'm running version 23.3.0 Build 69.

I have read the comments, just fill in the project name and the location and click create. That does not work. The Create button is disabled. The Project location drop down is basicly unresponsive. The CPU is at 100%. Ive rebooted, updated CS, tried again.  It appears that the UI is trying to count the number of files in folders at the bottom or generate thumbnails or something overly cpu intensive BS that I dont care about when trying to create a new project.. Why the folder counts would be usefull to anyone, I dont know. Counting files should not take that long its a basic OS operation. For some reason the UI likes to select all the sub folders for import and when you un check the parent, it does not uncheck every child folder, its a disaster. Like did this even pass QA?  There is limited explination of what some of these "New and improved" options even do for a non pro. The rest of the premier UI is responsive, I can access all the menus.  

I deleted my media Cache and that has help with the performance, but if an application is going to crumble performance it should have better checks on this and self heal. Thats what good programers do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it might be confusing but it actually is pretty simple to do. Just not ... apparently so. Sadly.

First, you have to make sure nothing in the center section of file folders/files has a 'star' filled in. Any that do, click that star to un-fill/deselect it.

Second, you have to make sure nothing in the right side "action" options is "on" ... easy enough to see, as if there's a blue dot anywhere, click it so it turns grey.

NOW ... the Create button is available to use. If it isn't, you've missed something in the first two steps.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new import page is an absolute nightmare. But my biggest issue with it was I couldn't get past it. After specifying the bare minimum of what is needed, I could not press the create button. After selecting media, I could still not press the create button. 

working on PP 24 (58) on a M1 MacBook Pro Max. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to deal with specifics. "Bare minimum" ... doesn't have a literal meaning. So for clarity, you type in the Name in the top left, select a Location, and the Create button doesn't light up blue?

And if that is the case, then say making a phone recording of that or a screen grab of the screen would help, because that definitely would be buggy behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct. I have seen another conversation where somebody said updating to the macOS Ventura has caused sudden and immediate issues with Premiere Pro. Somehow I just think some matchup of Apple silicone, macOS, and the new PP architecture is very screwy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines