• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does the Merge Segments feature (in the Transcript panel of the Text Window) actually work?

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to make this feature work? I have two segments that I'd like to merge, I highlight the first word of the latter segment, click "Merge Segments" and sometimes it merges segments, but most of the time nothing happens at all. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rootmedianc,

Merge segments in the Transcript tab should work just as you describe. I am on Win10, and using PR 23.1. It is working correctly for me in the two sequences I just tested. You cannot, of course, click in the first segment and use merge.

Some users report problems with this and naming Speakers. I cannot replicate the problems. But merge may work, for example, one time, then not work anymore until you restart PR, or change from one panel to another and back (or another sequence and back), etc. And I wonder if the version of PR may matter.

What version of PR are you running?

Test the "works once" theory by changing from one sequence and then back - does it work one more time? Restart PR. Does it work once?

Let us know.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. It does not work that way for me. I've gotten it to work (merge two consectutive segments) maybe 2 or 3 times total for reasons I can't discern. I'm running PP 23.1.0 on an intel iMac which is running OS 12.6. I've switched between panels, sequences, etc. many times (currently editing a project with 7 interviews) through the normal course of editing. I can try restarting, but if I get one correct behavior (segments actually merge) per restart or have to constantly click out to the sequence I'm working in, then the feature is effectively useless. I've more or less given up on it now and will correct the transcripts/combine sentences in Word after exporting a text transcript if need be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The restart and other change strategies would just be to test whether this is follow the work once scenario. Some users find a suitable way to workaround. Others rolled back to an earlier version if an update was the issue. It is a major problem for getting work done.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to get the merge segments to work on my M1 Max MacBook (macOS 12.6.1) with Premeire 23.1.0 (Build 86). Highlighting the first word of the last segement & pressing the merge icon = nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvote this bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/split-merge-functions-in-transcript-mode-still-not-...

It is still working correctly for me on Win10 PR 23.1.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes doesn't seem to do anything for me either M1 Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey @cflnest and @theboman,

Could you test this in Premiere Pro 23.2 and let us know how it goes? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines