• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does the "Noise"-effect work?

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really curious and I'd like to know how the "Noise"-effect in Premiere Pro technically works. I want to understand what happens mathematically to the footage to make it look noisy (as in film grain).

Does anyone know how this works and what parameters are being changed/applied in the software?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi aaronm,

Thanks for the question. 

I'm not an engineer, but as I understand it, noise (and all image processing effects) gets made by manipulating mathematical expressions. With noise, it's usually on a "matrix" of values. In this case, they are likely numbers from a random number generator. By continuously feeding the matrix with these random numbers, the noise will also appear as random, so it looks like it is animated.

I found a white paper on image processing and noise if you are interested. Check out Page 3: Impulse Valued Noise (Salt and Pepper Noise). This kind of noise in the Premiere Pro effect looks like it is blended with the video using a blending mode.

I'm unsure how the effect is constructed for Premiere Pro in terms of its code, but I could find out if you want me to. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines