• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How slow would Premiere Pro be with a 4th generation Intel processor?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm considering purchasing a refurbisehd computer which  is 4th Gen i7, has 16gb of RAM, 240GB SSD and a 4GB dedicated graphics card.  

I know this doesn't meet the minimum specs for Premiere Pro, but can anybody advise just how much trouble it will be to use the program on this type of processor?   I mostly use Dreamweaver and I am beginning to use Illustrator and Photoshop more, but I do use Premiere Pro occasionally.

Thanks for any insight.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may not install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See, this is where I get really confused!  I am upgrading from a 2010 Hp that has an AMD A6-3650 APU with Radeon, a BIOS from 2012, an AMD Radeon HD 6530D gpu (not dedicated) and 8gb RAM.  I can open Premiere Pro 2019, and create simple videos as long as I don't try to do anything fancy like adding text or use processor heavy transitions.

Are you saying that my computer is more powerful than the specs above? (16gb ram, intel 4th gen processor, solid state drive etc..)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you already know the answer then no need post.

That original post spec is similar to the machine I built in 2011. The SSD made a big improvement when I finally got one. So, it looks like a somewhat update from your 2010 machine, but it's at best a computer from 2013ish so, then you want to run a 2020 program with it. Doesn't sound like you'd be that happy if you're already confused.

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant no offense, I was merely confused because the poster said simply "It may not install", when I have an older machine with less ram. I still do not know the answer, because I am confused about processors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem! 🙂

So, it remains questionable if you should upgrade. Here's the specs Adobe requires. Just getting it to run is one thing, being useable is another. Check this out, see what you think. There's a note on the page that says it's applicable for 2020 also: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How slow would Premiere Pro be with a 4th generation Intel processor

Slow very slow, most stuff within Premiere is done on the cpu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 4th generation ... Thinkpad W540, CPU Model: Core i7, with CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz. I installed Adobe Premiere Pro, and it said I had two unsupported video drivers, and gave me a "fix" button for each. After quite a bit of searching, I found a program to download for my Intel(R) HD Graphic 4600, and then, before installing the driver, the software began to work. I started using it and everything was fine, until I went through with the driver install, which then failed to install. Then Adobe Premiere stopped working.

I just proved that it works and it works just fine, but there are some people out there who just want you to buy a newer computer. You gotta jump through all the hoops just right. Computers save SO MUCH TIME. Computers are the fall of humankind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use older hardware although an i9 9900K and an RTX 2070 would be much better. Below is an older computer using Premiere Pro in action. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFDt-G-dMOU

The GTX 1060 has Nvenc to help edit and render 4K H.264 but can you edit 4K BRAW and 4K R3D files with an old mediocre computer using Premiere Pro? Watch the video to find out. Adobe Creative Cloud: https://amzn.to/33rTUTYAdobe CC 1 year https://amzn.to/3Da0qMN Link is monetized

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already said what I feel is the real deal. Prices of computers will all start to skyrocket too, along with everything else. But, if you need it - you need it, I get it. Even so, how do I unsubscribe to this stream? I get an e-mail every time someone responds. Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Subscribe settings in Account settings: hit your avatar, right top corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

honestly, its almost cheaper to buy a modern 6 core AMD cpu system. plus who knows, maybe the cpu support is not very good on older cpu's. and i'm afraid to ask about the graphics card. adobe loves to make older gpu's obsolete. buy cheap, buy twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPUs are still a bit pricey but not as bad as 6 months ago. I say wait a couple more months before building a computer. Having said that the Nvidia RTX 4000 series GPUs will be released in about four months. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My fairly detailed answer:

Worse than even a base model M1-powered MacBook Air. Even if you install a discrete GPU that costs four times more money than an entire M1 Max-powered MacBook Pro. The discrete GPU will perform well, but will otherwise be seriously bottlenecked by the weakling (these days) CPU that can't even come close to that basic M1 chip in live playback performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU prices have dropped over the past couple of months. They are still a bit pricey but not super bad. If Bill_Teale can get a GTX 1060 or a GTX 1650 that would work just fine for H.264.  For BRAW and R3D files he would have to drop down to 1/4 resolution. An RTX 3050 would be a bit pricey but it would work ust fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines