• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to adjust overall volume of source clip once it's already in timeline?

New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing a video with two different audio clips. After receiving the first draft, the client wants one of the clips to be louder than it currently is. I thought I could fix this by adjusting the audio gain via the source waveform view, but this does nothing to adjust the audio already in the timeline. I use keyframes to increase and decrease the volume of the clip throughout the sequence, I just want the overall volume of the clip to be louder. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 8.25.13 PM.png

TOPICS
Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

There's the Audio Clip Mixer and the Audio Track Mixer.

Sounds like you may want to use the Audio Track Mixer.

If you like the mix you've created from start to finish, adjust the levels for the Mix Track in the Audio Track Mixer.

Also, the default keyboard shortcut for Decrease Clip Volume is left bracket ([) and Increase Clip Volume is right bracket (]).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's the Audio Clip Mixer and the Audio Track Mixer.

Sounds like you may want to use the Audio Track Mixer.

If you like the mix you've created from start to finish, adjust the levels for the Mix Track in the Audio Track Mixer.

Also, the default keyboard shortcut for Decrease Clip Volume is left bracket ([) and Increase Clip Volume is right bracket (]).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you! Ultimately would love a way to change just the source clip volume but this gives me a solution for this project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all the audio clips in the timeline, right click and  chose 'Audio Gain'. You now have several options to change or normalise the level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your waveform, adding extra gain is the last thing you want to do here as it appears your peaks are already up at or very near to 0dBFS.

What you need is a compressor, my friend.

I would set this up so that it is only applied to the individual clip that needs to be louder though.

Is it a voice track or something else?

Does it have it's own fader in the Mixer, or is it part of a larger picture?

The more details you can give about your project and it's layout the better, please - but we will almost certainly be introducing you to the wonder drug that is compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was a photo of the waveform after I adjusted the gain I meant to include one of the waveform in the sequence too so you could see that they weren't syncing up, this was with like 20DB of audio gain added, I was just doing something drastic on the off chance that I just wasn't hearing the difference from the slight adjustments I was doing. I think I've got my issue semi sorted though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Louder?? that's nuts, your audio is already clipping like crazy. Either way, simple way to do it is just drag the audio into another track, raise that track's audio level. Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol, I included a screenshot after I adjusted the gain multiple times hoping to get it to sync on the timeline, it wasn't actually clipping that much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines