• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

How to Anchor Subject Position

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a drone clip of a subject where the drone is as ascending.  Due to poor drone control, the subject does not stay in the center of the frame.  I've tried cropping and repositioning using key frames but am ending up with a poor result.  

As such, I'm curious to know whether there is a way to anchor the subject in a a certain position and have the software reposition the frame as necessary to maintain the subject's position.  Perhaps this is a long shot but thought I'd put it out there in case there is an easier solution tho this.  

thank you

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way you are attempting to do it with keyframes is the way I would've tried first. As there's no motion tracking within Premiere to do what you need. In After Effects you can motion track your subject and should be able to achieve what you want.

Something that *might* make your keyframing in Premiere less objectional is to play around with your keyframe interpolation, particularly if you are only using 'linear' keyframing. Try adding 'eases' or other temporal or spacial interpolation to your position keyframes ... but it may still look bad 😞

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the input Steve,  I did try the ease in and ease out and it wasn't satisfactory as you suggested.  As regards, after effects, I do have that software but have very little experience with it. Can you tell me roughy what method or command might be used to anchor the subject ?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After effects is not an easy program to jump into and you would likely need to do some tutorials to get the basics first... but to do what you want (and this is a guide not a tutorial 🙂

import the clip that needs stablising into AE, create a comp with just this clip in it, from the animation menu apply 'track motion', select 'Stabilize Motion' in the tracker panel, adjust the track point to what you want the image to be centred on and click one of the options in the Analyze section of the tracker panel and if you get a good track (you'll see the track being processed and hopefully it will correctly track your selected object), then click Apply. Then adjust your transform adjustments (scale and position) to make your tracked clip fill the frame.

The above is JUST the basics - best to find a tutorial and follow it's instructions.

Online search: after effects motion tracking

Jump over to the After Effects forum here at Adobe for better advice 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Steve,  this is very helpful ! I have dabbled in AE producing an animated map and this will be another good challenge. I believe it would be a great skill to master for someone who seems to collect too much wonky (but otherwise good) aerial footage. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@timh82449064 wrote:

I have dabbled in AE ... 

In that case then absolutely try it for yourself in AE. While it's always great to follow tutorials for apps you don't know, it's also good to just jump in with a specific problem and figure out how to fix it. Great way to learn and fun too.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, cut/copy a small sample with the problem into a sequence by itself. Apply the "Warp Stabilizer" effect. See how that looks. I find this sometimes works very well, but the problem is what to do with the edges as it moves the video frame around. It has settings for this. In a recent project, I decided to take my 4K source and create an HD export. Then I could just crop as I wished.

Can someone suggest a good tutorial?

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input Stan, I've used the warp stabilizer before.   I suspect the clip is too wonky but will give it a try. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> clip is too wonky....

That may be true. I had some success on such clips by razoring to just sections with the better parts, then using other methods to deal with the really bad "jumps." Even deleting a few frames and using a plain cut or a very short transition was better than any other method. But using warp stabilizer on the better sections may save time.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Stan, I'm going to give this a try 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines