How to change media file path of individual clips (different than linking media)

New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a quite a niche problem and its been driving me a little bit crazy so I hope someone can suggest a solution?

Basically, I work between Photoshop and Premiere. I import PSD files with multiple layers (imported as individual layers) into Premiere, create an elaborately organized Sequence utilizing each of the layers of a PSD file. I have many PSD files with different content but the same layer structure. Ideally - I want to be able to simply duplicate my Premiere Sequence many times over, and then replace which PSD file those new duplicates are pointing to - basically change their file paths - instead of having to build the elaborately organize Sequence every time. If I use the link media option, it changes the source on ALL of the instances of the duplicated Sequences. 

So for example, if I have a Sequence 1 that uses layer 1 and layer 2 of file1.psd, I want to be able to duplicate Sequence 1, renaming it to Sequence 2, and then simply changing the clips to point to layer 1 and layer of file2.psd. I'm wondering if there is a simple way to edit the file path of an individual Sequence, without effecting all of the duplicats.

I know its confusing to explain so I did my best to make a little mockup with dummy files:

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 8.08.24 PM.png

I want the clips in Sequence 2 (upper right) to point to file2.PSD instead of file1.PSD. If I take the clip offline in order to relink it, it takes it offline in both Sequence 1 and Sequence 2, and will then relink it also to file2.PSD in both Sequences. ( see below).

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 8.09.28 PM.png

Thank you for your time and I hope it is not a redundant or silly question. 

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Instead of duplicating the sequence, import the sequence to a new project, relink the media, and then import the sequence and the new media back to the original project.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of duplicating the sequence, import the sequence to a new project, relink the media, and then import the sequence and the new media back to the original project.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! This worked for me. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines