Exit

How to Change the "Add Marker" color?

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone,

Here's what I'm looking for.

The Add Marker shortcut places a green marker on the clip.

I want this green marker to be RED, or WHITE, something more noticeable.

I went to the keyboard shortcuts and found "Set marker color", this is great, however when i attempt to apply the marker to the clip it will only mark the top of the timeline this doesn't really do any good.

Summary: I want to add a red marker to a video clip without stopping playback.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Oh, forgot to mention, I assigned, for  example, F9 to be Set Marker Color2 or whatever, and I use that key in the markers window. I control-select all desired markers (select all CTRL-A doesn't work there) then I press F9 and it changes all greens to red etc. If you're adding hundreds of markers, control select would be prohibitive... wish there were select ALL there. But if you want to add like a few markers amidst a bunch of others perhaps using green as a placeholder with hotkey for desired

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

atxspencer  wrote

Hey Everyone,

Here's what I'm looking for.

The Add Marker shortcut places a green marker on the clip.

I want this green marker to be RED, or WHITE, something more noticeable.

I went to the keyboard shortcuts and found "Set marker color", this is great, however when i attempt to apply the marker to the clip it will only mark the top of the timeline this doesn't really do any good.

Summary: I want to add a red marker to a video clip without stopping playback.

If a clip in a timeline is selected when you press M or the assigned add marker key, the marker will be added to the clip itself. If no clip is selected for the active timeline (active sequence) when you press M (or assigned add marker key), the marker will be added to the timeline (i.e., the sequence you are editing). This is to differentiate between clip markers and sequence markers (that show in the timeline).

In either case, if you press M (or assigned key) once, it will add the marker with the default color (green on my system). If you press M twice (double press), a box will pop up and you can enter all sorts of goodies such as text, description etc., and select a color of your choice. You can also right-click on an existing marker and choose to Edit that info. As well, if you use the previous/next marker keys to select an existing marker, or simply get the timeline pointer on an existing marker some other way, and press M, it will open that Edit box and you can change the color or description etc.

After you have added a bunch of markers, there is a Markers window that shows all markers. I'm just starting to appreciate markers more than before... didn't use them much before but for brief bookmarks. Now I'm starting to learn more about how to truly organize and find things with them... hence my newfound knowledge above that I'm passing on.

Hope that's what you were looking for... Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the Reply Ashley, but I'm looking to add a red marker on the clip without stopping playback.

Basically I would like to change the default color to the add marker command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

atxspencer  wrote

Thanks for the Reply Ashley, but I'm looking to add a red marker on the clip without stopping playback.

Basically I would like to change the default color to the add marker command.

Can you use the default Add Marker as the "newly added marker" color (green)... after you are finished adding with M, use marker's panel to filter only Green markers (those are newly added), select all of them and change to desired color? Cumbersome... but that's the best supported non-hack thing could find. You use the default Add Marker as a place holder for adding new markers. Seems like Add Marker color should be configurable maybe you can enter a feature request...seems others have wanted this over the years. (Feature Request/Bug Report Form )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, forgot to mention, I assigned, for  example, F9 to be Set Marker Color2 or whatever, and I use that key in the markers window. I control-select all desired markers (select all CTRL-A doesn't work there) then I press F9 and it changes all greens to red etc. If you're adding hundreds of markers, control select would be prohibitive... wish there were select ALL there. But if you want to add like a few markers amidst a bunch of others perhaps using green as a placeholder with hotkey for desired color might work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will definitely try this, may be the best thing for now.

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution to this yet. I simply want to add different colour markers on the fly like you can in Avid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any luck getting markers to work like they do in Avid?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution A:

The best way I found is to change what TYPE of marker I'm adding. For example, instead of adding a comment marker (army green), I add a chapter marker (red). I do this by changing the keyboard shortcut of M from comment marker to chapter marker.

Downside:

Comments on Chapter Markers won't appear in the Markers' panel. Names will appear, but the comment section will appear blank until you open the marker dialogue.

Solution B:

Step1) Setup keyboard shortcut for Set Marker Color 2 (red). I use Control+2. You can assign keyboard shortcuts by going to the drop down menu Premier Pro CC at the top of your screen.

Step 2) Using the original marker default of M (Comment Marker), set each marker (army green) until you are done setting markers. At this point, all your markers will be army green.

Step 3) Change all green markers to red: A) Holding the Command button on your keyboard, use your mouse to individually select each marker in the Markers' panel [Command+A does not work]. B) After you have selected all the markers you want to change, use the keyboard shortcut you assigned in Step 1 to change all markers to the assigned color.

Downside:

It's a bit labor intensive and slow. And you still have to look at that ugly army green until you change the color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually did what you said assigned 2 shortcuts to "set marker color to red" and "set a new red marker"..  for all the existing ones I opened the Marker window, selected the top Marker and then hit the "set marker color to red" and then "arrow" down...  that way I worked through the whole cut.

basically my aim was to have all Markers red as in MORE VISIBLE ADOBE...

thx 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having this same problem on a project recently - 2020 Premiere Pro so they've clearly not changed it - or I'm missing something.

Something I have found is that you can set other keys to 'add blue marker' 'add white marker' etc. so have selected a bunch of shift key commands for each colour so I can roll through my edits and add different types of markers (i.e. white for chapters; blue for things I like; red for things I don't etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same problem, but I think I've found a good simple work around in cc2020.. I simply changed the 'add marker' key (N in my case) to 'add marker' in the keyboard shortcut window. Hope that would help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant 'add red marker' 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply go to "Keyboard Shortcuts" and add keys for whatever color markers you'd like! For example, to change default marker color from green to blue, simply make the "Add Blue Marker" option to the "M" key. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In th navigation bar at the top select Premiere > Keyboard Shortcuts then in the search bar type "add marker" and you'll see all the different marker color options. From there just drag and drop the key you want to assign the marker to, could be  the default "M" key for marker and so all your markers will now be the color you assigned instead of the default green. Saves you time. Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines