How to change video previewer from 1080p to 4k?

Contributor ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a series of 1080p videos I created in Premiere Pro that are basically slide shows of static images with various transition effects. As many of the source images in the video are 3k to 4k pixels, I want to upscale the video to 4k (the original source images are still available to the project). 

I attempted to scale the video up to 4k by selecting the sequences (static) images and going to Sequence > Video > Frame size and changing it to 3840x2160, with the result that when exported I the images are still scaled to 1080p floating on a black background. Looks like I need to scale each image sequence by 200%. That's fine. The problem is that the video previewer is stuck at 1080p, and I can't figure out how to scale it up to 4k, i.e., what the video preview displays does not match the exported video. Any suggestions? Thanks. Premiere Pro 22.2, Windows 11

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would guess your sequence preferences are involved here. In the Prefs, you have options for the default placement of still images ... no default, set to framesize (normally the better option) and scale to framesize (only use on a low-end computer!).

As those images were loaded on that seqeunce with one preference, that's what the sequence is doing. So you either change the images on that sequence, or change the Preferences, then do a new sequence.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, though I'm still not understanding why the preview is cropped to 1080p when the output is 4k; what's the point of a preview if it no longer matches the output? The static image sequences involve a lot of layered transitions, so to start messing with those settings is counter productive at this point. Am I missing something basic here? Thanks again.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like my questions have moved into the realm of the rhetorical. Thank you again everyone for your responses.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious about several things as I'm not totally sure your precise series of steps to get to where you are.

What was your Preferences setting for stills when you made the sequence? Set to, scale to, or none?

'

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, I never set the Preference settings. I embarked on this project a total Premiere noob, so I guerilla'd my way through it settling on whatever worked. As I recall, I scaled the images by dragging their corners.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Preferences, there is a scaling option. Set it to "set to framesize" ... then any still image brought into a sequence will be auto-scaled to the frame size, but not computed to that framesize. So the image will appear as if scaled to fill the frame, without losing any data from the scaling process.

So you can change up or down manually without troubles.

Then create a new sequence either with a video clip of the right framesize and framerate, or by "New Sequence" and select a preset of the desired size/rate.

Then add your images in, it will all work fine.

And ... we all started out like this, you know? Project after project being a "learning experience" ... ...   😉

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines