• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable snap to transitions?

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I googled for hours but couldn't find the solution. My problem is: I use default transitions a lot in my projects, and I use Snap feature to align clips, and each time I try to align one layer to another, it snaps to other layer's transition, not to it's border.

1.png 2.png

This creates a lot of gaps and misplaced clips, not to mention a lot of frustration. I wonder if anyone needs snap to transition's border more than to clip's border, but Premiere constantly do this, and I have to manually check every junction in my project. The transitions are small and easy to miss, sometimes they're not even visible without zoom, so I don't even know where did it snap to. When you have 1000 clips in a project, this becomes a pain.

3.png

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Just,

Have you tried going to Effect Control panel menu (three horizontal lines) and tried Snap to feature?

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinay,

The Effect Controls "Snap To" feature is irrelevant to the Timeline snapping issue.

Hi Ann,

That's what I have to do right now - zoom in and out for every snap. When you have to do it all day, it's just insane. I wonder why there is no Snapping options in the Timeline wrench menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snap feature is for all assets in the timeline. You cannot turn it off just for one type off asset/effect.

Snapping on or off: shortcut S or the magnet on the far left of the timeline under the timecode display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The snapping feature does not always do a very goo job when zoomed way out of the timeline

May want to zoom in on the timeline a bit more to make snapping more easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone from Adobe care to conciliate their customers and/or offer support? Of the many things that we bump on daily in the program, this seems like an easy fix, at least a simple "we hear you and we're working on this inefficient annoyance".

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the webpage show above and vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm late to this party, but I have the same annoyance.

I moved from FCP Studio years ago (but a lot later than others, because I didn't want to transition), and I never remember having this issue. I think FCP scaled the snap depending on how you were zoomed in. If you were way out, it assumed you wanted the end of clip/middle of transition, but if you were zoomed in, it either never snapped to the handles of the transition, or it only did it when you were zoomed in.

This is annoying for the reason the OP says: when you are zoomed out and want to snap to a spot to for instance set an in/out point, or drag a clip to abut the previous one, it will often snap to one of 3 spots on a transition: the in and out of the transition, or the cut point. This forces you to zoom in enough to be able to see the transition, which is the annoyance. Yes, it only adds 3-5 keystrokes plus 5 seconds, but if you have to do a lot of these, it adds up, and there are few if any instances when snapping to the beginning or end of a transition makes sense. If there are some, then sure, that would be a reason for a toggle for this, but otherwise, just as happy for snap to transition in/out to disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines