• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to display iXML in Metadata fields in Project Panel

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large number of .WAV audio files with XML metadata written into them by my Zoom F4 Audio recorder. One of which is the "Track Name". When I open the metadata panel for a clip, I see the entry, in this case "Boom" or "Lav 1" listed in the iXML Panel:

MetaData.jpg

I cannot find a way to include this field in the display of metadata in the Project Panel of Premiere. Just about every other conceivable field can be inserted into that display. Is there a way to create a custom field and link this entry to it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

26 Views and no insights from the Adobe Staff Experts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is a frame grab from my project window. I created a metadata schema that included iMXL and track list. I am now trying to get the fields to populate from my files. Any metadata experts out there that might have insight?Track Field.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even have an iXML option for the Project panel view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to add it to your "schema". There is a little known panel titled "Metadata" where you can adjust the fields displayed in the Project/Bin view. You are seeing the default view when you open a project now, but if you go into the Metadata panel you can create a custom view with any number of different fields. I created a custom set including iXML, and now that column appears in the Bin view as shown above, but I cannot figure out how to get the fields to actually populate with my descriptive track names. Hoping someone from Adobe who knows metadata can advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstood.  I'm not saying it isn't there by default, I'm saying it's not even an option for me to add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Premiere are you using? The iXML panel is pretty difficult to find. If you are using 2017CC it's in there and I will be happy to show you where.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe staffers that appear here from time to time are on the Product Support staff, not actually the PrPro team. They know a LOT about the program but "we" can come up with things that they're not personally knowledgeable about, and sometimes they do contact the PrPro engineers for answers for us.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Thanks for your response. I have done quite a bit of searching on the Adobe forums here, Google, and on audio/video specific forums on DVXusers.com, the Zoom Facebook page etc. and have not gotten much of any insight. Zoom's excellent new field recorders, the F4 and F8 allow custom metadata to be written to their BWAV and WAV files that contains both info about what mics are on what tracks but also comments like "good take" "false take" etc that would be very helpful in post production in Premiere, After Effects and Audition. The high end film sound recorders from Sound Design do a similar function. The information is readable by Premiere as I have demonstrated in the screen shots above, I just can't seem to find a way to get it to display where it will be useful to anyone in a post production environment, like the properties or Project pane. It would appear that "Custom Schema" are the route to this, but there's precious little instruction on how to use the custom set-ups and how to map data to specific fields in the PrPro project window.

If you could bring some attention to this rather obscure question to someone that might be able to take it up the chain, myself and a number of other audio professionals would be really appreciative. The current attitude in the sound forums is "Premiere just doesn't do audio metadata". I would like to correct that impression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the link handy on my phone like I do at my desktop, but filing the Adobe bug/feature-request form gets apparently a tabular report to the management deciding budgets ... the more something is mentioned there the better.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 2017.0.2 under Windows 10.  If you care to point me, I'll take another look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Mac, so there may be differences, but I go to Windows>Metadata and scroll all the way down the list to the bottom. Last category on my machine is iXML. Open the iXML group and at the bottom it shows the track names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have it in the Metadata window.

I don't have the option in the Project window, which is where it doesn't work for you, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point exactly. To get the fields in the Project window you wish, you have to create a custom template. What you are seeing in the project window is the default set. To create a custom display, when in the Metadata panel, click the tab at the top to get a drop down menu. Chose "Metadata Display". You should get a checklist of all available metadata fields. Tick off the ones you want to see and "Save Settings". Those fields should now display in the Project Pane. The problem is, you can choose the iXML fields, but they do not populate with the contents as shown in the Metadata panel.

I finally got someone from Adobe PrPro engineering to talk to me on the phone yesterday, and guess what? They say that they made it that way on purpose. If I want iXML to display I should submit a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get the fields in the Project window you wish, you have to create a custom template.

I'm saying that is not possible for me.  There is no iXML option for me to add in the Project panel display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is moot because even if you can find the iXML display option, and it is buried at the end of the list in a sub-menu, at least on the Mac, you cannot display any data in it at this time, due to choices made by Adobe PrPro programers. I have put in a request to enable display of this metadata, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also discovered that if you create custom fields in Adobe Prelude, then they will NOT be available to display in the Premiere Project Window.

So I just spent 3 weeks meta-tagging 1.3TB of footage that is only useful for searches. I won't be able to see it or sort by it in the Premiere Project Panel.

Where do I submit a feature request for this? I'll be making several feature-length documentaries in the coming year and would like to have a solid workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some ways that you can get Prelude created fields to show in PrPro ... so I'm going to "ping" kulpreet singh​ to see if he can get you that data.

The feature request ... and there's many things like this I've also posted! ... is here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wav metadata is still a shambles on PP, right? This article is several years old but I don't think anything has changed...

https://www.provideocoalition.com/adobe-and-avid-need-to-support-ixml-metadata-for-audio-channels-in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, they've not upgraged the metadata options in any notable way. And yes I've complained among others. So always happy to see others post on this topic.

There are quite a few metadata options you can choose to display from the massive list of metadata bar options ... however, it's useless to do so. PrPro will not actually read and display the data from those fields.

And when I've compained to engineers either on forums or in person at NAB, they are patient but don't see any urgency in fixing things. Which frustrates me totally.

Time to push for more people to go over to their UserVoice system and post. Also, I put a rant on this on their public beta forum a few weeks back. You're most welcome to go there and post a reply!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines