• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit a copied/duplicated title sequence in CC 2018 without changing the original??

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. I have been through many "solutions" but they all seem to apply to some previous version of CC and none of them work for me. For instance alt/dragging a sequence or a clip to a new spot on the timeline simply recreates that sequence and when I edit the new one the original is also changed. Duplicating a sequence in the project panel produces the same result. Why is it so impossible to do this, and why have i just wasted 2 hours trying to figure it out. Wish there was a button for "duplicate and editable title" or something. None of the 5 or 6 "fixes" for this have worked for me.

Could someone please please show me the definitive way to do this in CC 2018, and not in some earlier version?

To make clear... I have a title sequence that I want to copy multiple times and be able to edit each copy independently of each other , and without the original changing.  Is this possible? Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One method: In the Projects panel, right click on the item you wish to duplicate, and click on duplicate. It will show up as a copy, rename it and then work on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This absolutely does not work for me. One of the many methods I've tried. Perhaps a glitch in the newest version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt drag one title clip (not the sequence) to a new location in the same sequence.

Open this new one in the titler and change the text.

test > test copy 01.

Repeat same action, alt drag from first title

test > test copy 02, etc.

Duplicating a sequence and editing the title will change the original also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alt drag.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I do as you say I get the same result. When I alter this "copy" of the title clip (not the sequence) the same is applied to the original. I've been at this for hours and starting to go a little crazy.

To be clear...  When you say "Alt drag one title clip (not the sequence) to a new location in the same sequence.", do you mean if I had 3 titles in the sequence and I alt/dragged one of them to another point on the timeline I could somehow alter this clip without it affecting the first one. Does not work for me at all.  I guess I am not understanding.  Feeling so foolish that I can't figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been through every tutorial I can find and every forum comment I can find. I can not for the life of me figure this one out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with fresh titles not the ones already in your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, there is absolutely no solution anywhere to be found. I'm having the same issue.

I downloaded a title pack from a website. I drag the title I want from that project to my working project, and begin editing the title(text, spacing, size). So now I've got the first title lined up and looking how I want it, and I'd like to use the exact same specs I already have on a new title, with different text.

Alt+Drag doesn't work, as it creates an exact copy with the same source paths. So if I change the text on the "copied" title, it changes it on the first. In fact, any changes to the second alter the first.

Another option I've seen is to duplicate the title in the project panel. This also produces the same problem.

I have spent so much time trying to figure this out. Motion Array has a video which says import the title project multiple times, but this is crazy as then I'll have to edit everything I already had done, for every title I use. I rarely use a title from a pack as it's imported.

Is there any way in Premiere Pro to duplicate a title(which is a sequence nested several times), and also create a duplicate of all the underlying source material. I have figured out that I can duplicate the title, and duplicate the source, and relink them. This is also excessive against my time as some of these titles has numerous source files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select title on timeline.

Alt+drag to new position.

Change text of this new title.

Done.

Alt drag for nest with titles inside wont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the response but unfortunately I'm working with nested titles. To elaborate, I have had success when working with a nest that contains the title text in the first and only nested path. I've been able to duplicate the source in the project and replace it within the nested sequence.

The title I'm working with now has a nest which contains a video and another nest. Inside the first there's a composite of the text sequence and modification layers with the same text. The text is further contained. In order to path the a new project file I would have to replace and edit the complex parts of the title which at my level is not likely to happen.

I'm hoping future iterations of PP have the ability to duplicate nested titles quickly.

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found to be the easiest solution:

1. Make changes in original project sequence.

2. Drag and drop that sequence into the project you are working on.

3. Make any other adjustments necessary in your project.

Hope this helps. It definitely stopped my palpitations 😄 lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an opportunity to speak with Motion Array about this, they linked me to this video:

https://help.motionarray.com/working-with-premiere-pro-templates/adding-additional-placeholders-in-p...

It would seem that a possible workaround is to edit a title to my spec, then save it as a .prproj. After this import the title via 'File' and select 'Allow Duplicates'

So far it has been loading in separate assets, all assets subsequently to the first are not retaining the modifications I made, but it is allowing them to be modified separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same idiotic problem happend to me just lost two hours.

Quite embarasing to duplicate titles 🙂

Duplicate sequnce shoul be simply duplicate with all features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just moved from FCP to PP for a project and even though it took a while to figure out the new UI, it seemed pretty easy and smooth untill I hit this dilemma! 

What a bomber! 

I can absolutely relate to your comment so much. I have a deadline coming up and am not able to figure this bit out. It's the most frustrating this Adobe needs to fix. FCP has a simple solution, you "compoud" the text/template and it becomes independent. PP also has the "nest" option but it doesn't help at all. 

I hope you have figured this out and I genuinely hope you still have some of your hair left cause I'm halfway done pulling out mine. 

PLEASE SHARE ANY SOLUTION THAT WORKED. PLEASE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone still encountering this, I was able to get this working by importing the second sequence after completing the first.  When setting up to use 3 titles from the same project, I imported all 3 at the same time.  I needed to delete all but the first, complete my changes, and then import the second, complete my changes, then import the third.  It works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too, after several hours of trying to figure out what the heck I was doing wrong. You have to import your first instance of the template, change the names on all sequences/titles, THEN you can import a new instance of the template. It does seem like there should be an easier way to do this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all - having an identical issue with very latest version of Premiere Pro, and some imported titles from Motion Array.

I want to use the first video I've created (with the Motion Array titles in) as a template for a series of videos. So I want to keep the same titles, but change the copy across different videos. However changing the copy in any duplicated version of the title always seems to change it across all versions of the title - even across different premiere pro projects!

Alt-drag does not work, nor does duplicating in the asset folder itself. 

Is there a quick fix for this? It feels like there should be something easier than starting from scratch.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The way to do it is to duplicate the titling asset in the Project window (highlight, copy/paste). Then rename it, and drag that into your timeline. That asset is no longer linked to anything else and while it will start as an exact duplicate of the first one, it can be freely edited now without affect others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines