• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit a three-channel video for gallery installation?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all: I have been searching for a way to edit three different videos that will appear as projections on three separate walls in a gallery setting (and will be synchronized in playback and looped). Currently I have the three videos as individual sequences within one Premiere Pro CC 2017 project file. Is there any way that I can see the three sequences simultaneously so that I can edit the relationship between the three separate videos (sequences)? I am suspecting there is no way to do this in Premiere but I'm no Premiere expert and that is why I'm here! If this isn't possible in Premiere can anyone suggest another way to do this?

I'm sure many of you have seen such multi-channel gallery installations - so how did they edit the video relationships? Note: it is not a multi-camera shoot I'm talking about here as google seems to confuse multi-channel with multi-camera.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

There are several ways to do what you want to do, you'll need some hardware horsepower to do it, however.

If your three source sequences are 1920x1080, create a new sequence that is 3 times that wide -  5760 x 1080.

Once you have your new (empty) sequence created, drag in the three source sequences with the timeline toggles to bring in sequences as nests.

Place the first on V1, the second on V2, and the third on V3.

Select the nest on V1, and using the Effect Controls panel, move it horizontally so

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several ways to do what you want to do, you'll need some hardware horsepower to do it, however.

If your three source sequences are 1920x1080, create a new sequence that is 3 times that wide -  5760 x 1080.

Once you have your new (empty) sequence created, drag in the three source sequences with the timeline toggles to bring in sequences as nests.

Place the first on V1, the second on V2, and the third on V3.

Select the nest on V1, and using the Effect Controls panel, move it horizontally so that it sits on the left hand side of the extended frame. Select the nest on V3, and move it so that it sits on the right hand side of frame.

Now you should see all three sequences side by side. If you want to make a change to a sequence, double click on it and it will re-open the source of the nest where you can make your changes - then return to the composite sequence.

Being able to play all this back in real time will be a function of your hardware horsepower, setting the monitor resolution low, and the complexity of the source sequences.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, Meg. Surprisingly, this is the most concrete information I've received from anyone yet and I have asked a few video pros. I will give this a shot when I next get to the studio and report back (can't check 'Correct Answer' until I've tried this method). Hoping my Mac Pro is up to the task!

Vid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that this is not a solution for delivering the final for projection, you need to find out what kind of video player is going to stream the three video streams simultaneously and what the file specs are.

This is just to allow you to see the three sequences playing back together, and making edit decisions based on this view.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to get back to you, Meg. Your suggestion works pretty well. The fact that the nested sequences reflect the original sequences and any edits one does is really helpful. Ultimately if feels like this solution could be perfected further, though, if Adobe wanted to make this process more directly visual.

Anyway, thanks a lot! Slogging away still on the final product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Meg,

After I'm done editing all the materials I will have to put up a three channel video installation in a few months. Given the fact that you already been through this i wanted to ask you how did you end up having the three videos running in sync on three different projectors? Did you use an hdmi matrix splitter from a laptop or you used for each video a source of its own? Also, if you indeed used the same source for all the outputs, what software have you used to send the videos, in sync, to the projectors? Been having a lot of trouble with this for the past weeks.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english!

Vyr Djeel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my line of work (museum), we use BrightSign media players, one for each display. They can be synchronized to play in unison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This solution makes sense; however, I need to edit a three-channel 4K video installation. I wonder if there's a way to set it up in HD (5760 x 1080) as illustrated using proxy 4K clips reduced to HD and then replace each proxy sequence back to 4K when exporting the three channels crops individually from this same file. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Vid,

After I'm done editing all the materials I will have to put up a three channel video installation in a few months. Given the fact that you already been through this i wanted to ask you how did you end up having the three videos running in sync on three different projectors? Did you use an hdmi matrix splitter from a laptop or you used for each video a source of its own? Also, if you indeed used the same source for all the outputs, what software have you used to send the videos, in sync, to the projectors? Been having a lot of trouble with this for the past weeks.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english!

Vyr Djeel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update on this thread and an alternate way to achieve 3ch...

I'm very inexperienced in video editing and so I built my 3ch project in a single 5760x1080 sequence and locked off the cut before I even knew what a nested or sub-sequence was. I thought I was headed for a world of pain come export time and that I'd have to lift my video tracks and put them into sequences, re-positioning them for 1920x1080, etc. Not so. Simply choose 'source' in the export settings window and crop to 16:9, move crop bounds L, C, R for each of the three exports. Note: you must uncheck 'match source' and 'dimension constrain' in the basic video setting pane and set to 1920x1080. 

Thanks to my friend Jean Poole for this advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines