• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get dip to black to dip all the way down in a segment

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a video with several segments (where segments were created by using the cut tool to click on a point in the video, thereby creating a "through-edit"). I want the end of one segment to fade to black. I want the beginning of the next segment to fade from black. I've tried using Dip to Black across the through-edit separating the 2 segments, but I've found that the first segment does fade to black until maybe a second before the segment's end, and then the segment starts to re-appear. I'm unable to use a simple Dip to Black to get the segment to fade entirely to black.

What I've found to work is this:

1.  Select the second segment (in my case, all segments after the first segment).
  2.  Move the segment(s) over a bit to the right (higher on the timeline). Now there's a gap of nothing between the first and second segments.
  3.  Apply Dip to Black to the end of the first segment.
  4.  Apply Dip to Black to the beginning of the second segment.
  5.  Select the segments (or segments) that are later than the first segment and move it to the left so that its beginning again abuts the end of the first segment.

This technique yields a complete fade to black at the end of the first segment, and a complete fade from black at the beginning of the second.

But it's tedious. Is there an easier way?

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey JA,

Sounds like it's working. Though, using standard dissolves or fading opacity using keyframes might be preferable. Another technique is placing a Black Color Matte on V2 and using opacity keyframes to keyframe the fades. You can customize the timing of the fades, and copy and paste the matte multiple times across a sequence.

This stuff does tend to be tedious. See if you can use presets for opacity fades or copy/paste color mattes, or use other shortcuts that may help you.

Good Luck!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got around to playing with opacity and keyframes. Looks useful. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good! Let us know how it works out.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try unchecking Composite in linear color in the sequence settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines