Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to place a clip/footage to specific position on the timeline

Engaged ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community.

I cannot locate a tutorial for my problem on YT, so Im hoping someone from the community can assist me.

I have a clip I would like to position in the timeline, and can fit perfectly in the gap. Im trying the insert

(comma) short cut, but its not working, ( Im doing something incorrect ). 

So how can I achieve this? I would like the purple clip to be position inbetween the blue clips. but rather than draging it, I'd like the more intuitie method to do so.

Thank you.

StefanCargoski_0-1671539346657.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

If moving a clip from a Project panel bin or from the Source monitor using Insert/Overwrite options, you need to have a Source target set.

In your image, see the black areas to the far left on the header block? To the left of the little lock icon?

You need to click that area for V1, so that turns blue. Then Insert should work as long as the playhead is at that spot.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If moving a clip from a Project panel bin or from the Source monitor using Insert/Overwrite options, you need to have a Source target set.

In your image, see the black areas to the far left on the header block? To the left of the little lock icon?

You need to click that area for V1, so that turns blue. Then Insert should work as long as the playhead is at that spot.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then Insert should work as long as the playhead is at that spot.

Or an In Point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, and thank you for your reply. It worked, but weirdly enough, when I was clicking on the insert, the clip infact did go to the position, but all the other clips were moving as well ( I got a dialogue box popping up ). so then I tried the overwrite option button ( Period Shortcut), and it worked, the clip was placed where the in and out points were positioned. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup, Insert inserts ... moves anything already there to the right. Overwrite simply replaces whatever's there. Whether blank or a clip.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines