Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HW decoding on nVidia GPU

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

as a tech integrator I'm solving an issue for one of my clients. He's running Win 10, 8core 1.8GHz Xenon CPU and a Quadro P4000. He would like to use a multicam workflow for editting 4 channels of 4K footage. Unfortunatelly CPU is not capable of decoding such an amount. The GPU is, though. When I run four instaances of VLC player with the same footage, VLC offloads the decoding to h.246 decoders on the GPU card. Problem is, Premiere seems not being able to do the same thing. I can see some CUDA utulization happening, so Premiere does communicate with the driver, but decoder cores are not being used. Most of the decoding heavy lifting is still done by the CPU. Is that a normal behaviour, or am I making some mistake somewhere?

(HW acceleration is allowed in the preferences, Mercury engine is set to CUDA.)

I tried to contact a support about this, but eventhough I was asking on behalf of a company that has a teams account with bunch of licences, I was redirected to this forum as a "best way to contact developers". ...so eventhough that company pays god knows how much on Adobe subscription, I'm doing as I'm told.

Please help.

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

mK,

Currently, there is no GPU hardware decoding other than Quick Sync available for H.264, HEVC, or any other footage. Please make a feature request on User Voice. https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got it! 🙂

I went to Intels site and compared them processors and you are 100% correct. I was not aware of that as you could see.

I fully agree with you regarding the rest in your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mK,

Currently, there is no GPU hardware decoding other than Quick Sync available for H.264, HEVC, or any other footage. Please make a feature request on User Voice. https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for chiming in Kevin, it´s really appreciated! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thank you so much for the answer. Can you please pass information like that into some kind of knowledge base your support guys have access to? I needed exactly this information five days ago, but the support guys were absolutely clueless.

I will send the request, but quite frankly the chances are slim. I'm well aware running Premiere on Xenon is kind of unusual case.

While I have you here, is there anything like QuickSync available and supported by Premiere on current AMD processors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines