• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't see masks edges

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyine I hav e a little problem.

Everytime I add a mask I can't see its edges. The mask works fine and I can resize it, rotate it and do whatever I want but I cant see the path around it so it's not very easy to work on it.

Is there any shortcut I don't know that I can use? Some button to toggle the visibility of the path on and off? Is it a bug? I did the update to cc 2017 yesterday I don't know if that could be the reason.

Thank you in advance for your help.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Hi Matteobertizzi85,

Try the following steps,

1. Create a new project in Premiere Pro CC 2017, Import the project file(.Prproj) created in CC 2015 into it using File > Import & check the mask edges.

If issue persists,

2. Go to the following location in the machine

In Windows, C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\11.0 (Or)

In Mac, Documents > Adobe > Premiere Pro > 11.0

Rename the 11.0 folder to Old_11.0

Launch Premiere Pro, Create a new project(do not open Old projects)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resizing the window did it for me too, and it makes complete sense.  STUPID but makes sense when trying to understand the ^$&*#*@( coding Adobe uses.  Different work spaces are going to have different sized panels, which explains why the masks and text boxes disappear randomly due to whatever idiotic scaling system they have going when combined with any scaling going on and the screen resolution you're running.  You can see it come and go as you resize the panel.  Its like it only shows up on an even or odd scale number or other such stupidity.

The correct answer for this is WRONG.  Fix it Adobe.  THIS is the right answer.  Thanks maldavarfilms=)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resizing works! Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are Genius! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WORKED FOR ME, TOO!!

Before you try any other complicated solution, just try resizing your monitor window (I just changed the size 5 pixels or so and bam, the mask outline appeared).

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only participation here is to help people get work out the door. Yea, I've ranted a few times here also, who hasn't? As every once in a while something about this bites everybody.

But when I come on here on my own dime, as do so many others ... and someone snaps back at the suggestions of the other users trying to help them ... I might make a comment. Civility being a good thing. Even when folks are ticked. Or especially when folks are ticked.

Calling folks names now ... that's not particularly civil. Never do that on a forum myself.

At least, in my post, I did point out that testing the suggestions of those trying to help is something one might actually ... do.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kinda agree but having just spent past three days working through one glitch after another while I try to finish a project is incredibly frustrating. I am a print designer primarily who makes films etc as a sideline and can hand on heart say that Indesign and Illustrator have nowhere near the issues premiere has- with premiere its constant and very frustrating. I have been working along okay this evening and boom straight out of blue my mask tools have dissapeared like everyone else in here- I changed nothing- was working perfectly with some text I am masking on, moved from previous word to next- applied mask and nup- its dissapeared. I can understand the occasional issue but my past few months have been littered with constant seemingly random issues that I have to spend hours on forums trying to solve. Im no expert but Im running a fairly decent machine (Mac pro / 48 gig ram) and latest update is appalling in my experience.

Adobe need to stop racing and release fewer better proven versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software ... sheesh.

The bane of computer use.

And that's only partially funny because it's so true.

I've only had mask edges 'drop' from sight once. Closed the project, PrPro, reopened ... was fine. I know others who've never had this at all. And then, it's a right bugger for some, including yourself.

As an ACP, talking with ACPs from other app areas, InDesign/Illustrator/PhotoShop/Lightroom take your pic. For most users they're working fine. Some things affect a pretty decent share of users, some only small select "Lucky!" groups. They all have their issues.

I also use Resolve. Which some here post is so much better and never has an issue. Yea ... right. It's software. Running on a ton of different hardware. Check out the forums, you find plenty of folk on Resolve hitting bugs. Including those I've filled. Or went online looking for a work-around.

That situation you ran into in the evening ... those ... are maddening. I've had my share, and am TOTALLY familiar with the bug reporting process for every app I use.

The masking edges thing is one of those apparently multi-causal things. For many with it, the 12.1.2 release nailed that down. If you're not on that I do suggest trying it.

But for some ... even the fix in 12.1.2 didn't get it, there's clearly at least one more causal thing for the engineers to get.

So ... file that UserVoice bug report, listing your gear, media, and what happened. The more that file, the more data they've got for the engineers and the more data for the budget analysts in upper management to spring cash for budget. That's how Adobe works.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed my issue! THANKS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching to a different layout and re-clicking the mask in effect controls works for me  in CC2018.

But as others have stated, this quite obvious bug should have been fixed by now - the thread was started in 2016 for god's sake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing to the effects panel worked for me too. So also what I did was RESET the workspace to default and it seemed to bring back the blue edges

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now March 19, 2017. Has this been fixed yet? I am working my way through "Premiere Pro CC Classroom in a Book" and my masks (chapter 13, page 304) do not look like the book's... they have no borders. Not looking for a "workaround," just reporting that it's still not working.

nomask.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to change the 'Workspace' window, I have noticed that in my case the handles become visible again as soon as I change it (into the normal 'Editing' panel for instance)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes, I also find that if I enlarge the panel to take up half of my laptop screen, the edges suddenly appear. And then, happily, I can shrink the panel back down to size and they stay, so I'm a happy camper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mary_Dean posted, the mask edges become visible after scaling the program window to fullscreen.  Very strange but it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem and the scaling or switching to 'effects' workspace seem to be working for me. However, can we get a permanent bug fix sometime soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For that, post the Adobe Bug/Feature request form. Then never respond or acknowledge reciept, but ... all such postings get distributed to the upper managers in a tabulated format from what is shared about the process. The more something appears in the list, the more likely it is to get worked.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled the program, created a new user account, renamed/removed the old folders, created new projects, resetted the preferences and rescaled the program window, but I can't get my handles back.

It happened to me when I installed CS6 to use Encore, after that, my masks outlines and handles vanished. I can't get them back with any of the mentioned suggestions making the program near unusable for my work.

Does anyone have another tip for me to try?

Well, after 3 hours of trying I decided to post on this forum, and the last thing I did after the post fixed my problem. I actually had to reinstall the red giant plugins from scratch.

Hopefully that will help some poor souls in the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A small clue for everyone, the handle does not show in multicam mode it's seems. Right click on the preview > display mode > composite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem just now from out of nowhere, and the strangest thing fixed it: after clicking the main Mask item (NOT Mask Path) I clicked + on the Program Monitor to customize its buttons, then closed the button editor, and the mask handles appeared. They do not always appear again when the object with the mask is deselected but the trick to magic them back with the + seems to work consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried these, did not work for me. The Mask tool started to do this today, it was working fine earlier in the day, now every mask is invisible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep mine are gone too! What's the deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went into the spanner (settings) on the program window and switched to Multicam then back to composite and the handles appeared! CC18....Adobe have a massive issue here that is stopping people in their tracks but try this in the meantime

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switch to multicam then switch back to composite works!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a few solutions that are work around and works about 70% of the time:
1. Switch to another sequence and then return to the one you are working on.
2. Reopening the program.
3. Worked for me after reading here: switche to Multicam mode then back

When it happens in After effect, use the "Toggle mask and shpe path" button
in the lower left corner of the program monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this happened to me, right-clicking on the mask effect in effect controls (eg 'Mask (1)') brought them back, fsr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines