• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have a fast workstation but premiere pro has laggy playback even when using low res proxies

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest version of PP and working with proxies. The proxies seem to be set up correctly but as soon as two or more clips play over the top of each other everything gets very slow and playback becomes choppy. 

Please could you help me diagnose what might be going wrong? I can't understand why even low quality prores or cineform proxies (I've tried both) won't playback smoothly. 

My system: i7 5820k, 32gb ram, Nvidia GTX 970

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a powerful station anymore. A 2014 CPU ... that's 7 years old, several generations back. The 970 GPU is also totally outdated now. Sadly, that once good machine is old kit.

For example, I had a 6-core CPU that was a generation or two newer than yours, on a board updated to a 1060 GPU, with 32GB of RAM ... so something rather more capable than your current one. I dumped it last fall for a 24 core Ryzen with 128GB of RAM, and a 2080 Ti.

It's a right pain. Been working with computers since the late 80's, don't know how many times I've had to "upgrade".

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the news I secretly feared in the back of my mind! I think I will have to upgrade.

Would you expect poor performance from a machine with my specs even when using low res proxies? Surely my system should be able to handle the proxies? Exports and renders remain pretty fast.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

watch,

you'll have to see if you can decypher what I tell you into your own world cause I can't give tons of advice based on scant info. Let's assume you used your computer in the past to edit and things were not laggy.

my experience:

powerful computer 6 years ago ( now dinosaur)

I shoot 1080p and edit 1080p... all is good.

If I shoot 4k I put into 1080p timeline and proxy (in my case from braw to dnxhr sq or something at 1080p ).

If I put the 4k braw or sony 4k from a friend into 4k timeline my computer becomes dead duck after about 5min of source put into timeline. Just can't do it.

try to match source with what worked before OK... make projects, sequences, timelines, proxies what worked before with sources.

It's kinda like you have an old oven and you could bake a nice cake OK. But now you got source stuff that requires you bake a cake 5 times bigger.... cause the source is stuffing it down your throat.

Just downsize it to fit your oven.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also what is the footage/codec you use? And what is your storaged. Working with 5K R3D files will probably work great on a fast SSD with your system. But 4K h.264 footage probably not...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it's hard to explain about codecs and camera demands (compression on cheap ones) and cpu editing (and processes ) and color etc. let alone drama vs. chicken cutlet commercials.

if you spend your life doing commercials you are left with chicken basically.

You might be able to swing some little class at some UM school re: editing, color, production, writing, etc.

extend from book and merge sci fi production producer stuff into a nice overall syllybus near home at the college.

I live in an affordable housing hud section 8 apt. building in mound and just opened by door to hallway to get cool air from ac in hallway. hot as heck in my apt... but cool air coming in now.

unfortunately this leaves me vulnerable to neighbors who might walk by and realize I am a hippie from 1969, when I got drafted.

they might call the cops !!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines