• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm not sure whether to cry or push the panic button. Performance has slowed to a crawl.

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My latest build was going to be the be-all and end-all as I bid farewell to slow editing and poor performance. How does an AMD 5950x with 16 cores and 32 threads sound? An RTX 3070? Not bad eh? 64GB of DDR4 memory enough?  I hate to leave the rest of you guys in the dust, but I've got work to do and clients to serve.  Except...

Neither of those two things are happening.  

I completed the build (X570 chipset) about 3 months ago with Win 10 Pro.  It was much faster than my snappy 4 core/8 thread build, but not mind-blowing; probably because PP doesn't utilize every core/thread, and I get that.  Then, Windows offered to download Win 11.  So I did.  I felt like I noticed a performance hit, but perhaps it was just my imagination.  Of course since then, numerous updates have continued with Windows, Nvidia (studio driver), and Premiere Pro.  Because of that, I can't pin down where my problems have arisen, but now editing my 4K video (@140Mbps) is bordering on impossible, especially when I add a title graphic - that's the death nail.  I normally don't use proxy files since historically my system and PP have played it back well enough.

I am attaching eight screen shots if anyone much smarter than I has any insight, and I thank you in advance!

Files:

1.  BenQ Settings:  This is the BenQ SW271C - I am running it at 10 bits/channel, but backing it off to 8 bits did not help.

2.  CPU Monitoring - Showing the computer's activity and temperatures while rendering a preview.  You can't see it, but there is a simple title over the video.  It took 1:45 to render 10 seconds of video.  Without the title, it took 8 seconds.  It is so slow, when I try to move the title around the screen, I have to wait 10 or 15 seconds for it to jump into the new position.  Simple legacy titles installed with PP are still manageable, but anything with even a little animation is out of the question.

3.  PP Latest Version

4.  PP Project Settings

5.  PP Sequence Settings

6.  Windows Display Settings

7.  Windows System Settings

8.  Windows 11 Version

Again, thank you for reading this and taking your valuable time to give this any thought.

Eric

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say set Sequence settings audio to 48.000

Lower playback resolution and uncheck high quality playback in Program monitor

Make sure the audio hardware input is set to none.

And use proxies if still no luck.

Your timeline has a red render bar so your machine cannot play back in real time.

Might also be using non gpu accelerated effects which slow down workflow aswell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, I will explore all your suggestions Ann!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH GOOD GRIEF, THE VILLAGE IDIOT STRIKES AGAIN... ME !!!

Thanks to Ann leading me back into my settings and rechecking everything, I ran across and remembered past points about clearing your media cache.  Turns out, mine was set to 'never'.  I changed that setting, but more importantly, I cleared all of it. 

WOW!!!  My computer is back, and life is good again. So sorry for the bother.

I'll leave it up to the moderator whether to delete this thread in the event it's a wasted of space, or leave it for the next frustrated soul who doesn't understand why Premiere Pro is slowly and gradually seeing its performance slip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So it appears I incorrectly scolded myself earlier as all my problems have quickly returned.  If there is anyone out there who has any ideas why my extremely high-speed computer is grinding along at a snail's pace, I am desperate to hear from you as I am missing my deadlines on deliverables with a computer that simply has become incompatible with Premiere Pro.  I attached numerous images in my original post above to help provide background on my hardware configuration.

I have used PP for quite sometime, yes, with this current generation computer too (with 16 cores and 32 threads!!!) and sailed right along.  I'm not sure if some recent software update from PP threw a monkey wrench into this or what, but I'm attaching here a screen shot of a timeline with 60 seconds of raw (straight out of the A7Siii) video with zero effects added in PP and rendering at 4K 80Mbps, and you can see it was going to take about 15 minutes to render 60 seconds of raw video.  

Yesterday, I rendered a 12 minute video which took nine hours because I did have special effects, graphics, warp stabilizer, etc. baked into the script.  

Thank you for any thoughts, I am truly at wit's end!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines