• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I recorded vertical footage with an aspect ratio of 9:16 and the proxy makes it squished - squeezed

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am trying to use proxies in premiere and with horizontal footage it works percectly fine but with vertical footage whenever I use a proxy the footage becomes squished when i toggle on proxies. 

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jonw33079168,

Sorry to hear about this. Let us know the frame size & the pixel aspect ratio of the media files you are working with & the Proxy preset that you have used.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The proxy preset would need to be designed to work with that frame-size. It sounds like the one you're using doesn't, so you may need to create one for this purpose.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

Sorry about that. If you like, you can cook up your own proxy presets for formats that are not currently available. Are you aware of how to do that? It's not commonly known how.

You do that in Media Encoder by creating a new Ingest Preset. For an Ingest Preset, you first need an Encoding Preset to create it.

Make a new Encoding Preset in the Preset Browser based on what you want for your proxy. Then create an Ingest Preset from the Encoding Preset you just made. Back in Premiere Pro, in the Create Proxies dialog box, you can browse to this new Ingest Preset, select it, and choose it, and you'll be set up for your proxy with its custom aspect ratio for this and all future projects.

Please return with any questions. I hope the info helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I've been searching for solutions to the "squasged vertical video proxy" problem, and all appear to come back to creating custom ingest presets. Why is this necessary? Premiere Pro reports the dimensions of the original clip correctly, but rotates the dimensions 90 degrees when creating the proxy, even though the default ingest preset says to honour the source clip.

This problem appears to have been around for a few years, so I'm struggling to understand why PP doesn't do vertical proxies automatically by now. I am on the more current version of PP, as of posting.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to do custom proxy ingest presets realistically for about anything. Whether it's adding watermarks or overlays, specific aspect ratios, framesizes, or any other effect to a proxy file.

So why one would assume you can change from horizontal to vertical and not need to do a custom preset is to me,  ... odd. I don't assume that the app reads my intentions, though. Never seems to do so. And I'm a practical guy.

What works is what you do.

It takes a few minutes and then your proxies will be fine, and exactly what you want. I've made I don't know how many proxy presets over the years.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Geoff,

Sorry, my friend. I don't make the rules, I just report on 'em. If you think things should change in that regard, report it on our feature request portal, User Voice. OK?

In the meantime, try my technique out to see if it works for you. Knowing how to create custom presets will help your workflow in the long run. As Neil suggests, there's always a need for being nimble in your workflow, meaning being more adaptable to those new situations thrown your way. Vertical video is still quite new in the grand scheme of things, so you may need to modify what you normally do.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Kevin and @R Neil Haugen .

I made a custom ingest preset and it sort of worked. The proxy file itself is correctly sized now and plays correctly outside of PP, but in PP it displays correctly if the timeline is paused, but squashes again when the timeline plays. After deleting the media cache to no effect I parked the problem and edited the 4K directly just to get the task done (being very happy for having recently upgraded from my 2015 MacBook Pro). I'll come back to it in a couple of days with fresh video and try to sort it out properly. 

Thanks for your advice. 

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines