Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

icon of output video

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Exporting a video from Premiere Pro, all is ok, but the icon of the ouput file is not the firt image of the video, but an image inside the video...

Somebody could mybe explain this?

Thanks in advance

Guy

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about the image used for the thumbnail of the video file on your computer?  It's either your operating system or your default media player that sets that thumbnail - not Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering!

Yes. It is this image. But without information at the output of Premiere, I do not understand why the media player would choose an image inside of the video instead of the first one. It seems that the output video must contain the information of this image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro creates a video file, for instance .mp4.  Your computer then sees that it has a new .mp4 file and, depending on your default media player, determins a thumbnail of its own for the video.  I use VLC and the video file thumbnail icon is often a frame from within the first 10 seconds of the video.  However, when I put these files onto Microsoft Sharepoint to share with clients, the Sharepoint video player chooses a frame from roughly the midpoint of the video.  

The operating system or media player is not following directions of the file (until you press play).  It's operating under its own programming, which is what's determining the thumbnail selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.

That seems crazy, but I understand from your experience that it cannot be settled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a cetain logic to it working this way. If (for instance) you have a bunch of programs that all have the same title sequence, then if the thumbnail is the first frame, then all the thumbnails would look the same. At least if a thumbnail is chosen some way into the program it's more likley you'll be getting a different frame for each thumbnail.

The times that an application (a program called 'Adele' for instance) does always use the first frame (and can't be changed) has proven to be very annoying for a particular huge project. We ended up re-editing every program (hundreds) to have a unique image to start for the first frames before going into the title sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Steve,

I understand well that the systematic use of the first frame would be very disturbing. However, actually, I explained by Matt Young, the thumbnail can be fixed by the software or the operating system. It seems that it is done randomly. I am exactly in the position described by Matt Young. I send a File to a client by using onedrive and the thumbnail is not the same as on my computer...

It seems to me that, in a perfect world (Premiere world!)

1/ The thumbnail should be chosen by the user of the video software, with the ability to leave it random (as now?), this being the default option.

2/ It should be an attribute of the file

3/ Any user of the file should have the ability to modify it at will to account for its own environment, avoiding the problems described by Steve Griffiths.

Guy Bonnet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines