• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported dash cam video is black

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After importing my dash cam video, it just plays a black screen in PP. The last information I could find is from 2017 and says video must be converted in Handbrake. Is there a better solution?

Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 2.92 GB
Image Size: 3840 x 2160
Frame Rate: 30.00
Source Audio Format: 32000 Hz - Compressed - Mono
Project Audio Format: 32000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
Total Duration: 00:10:00:00
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: None
Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0 (Full Range)

TOPICS
Formats , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not likely. I expect it's encoded with a codec that isn't readily available, transcoding through handbrake can normalize and put it in the H264 container with a codec that makes sense and is easy to edit. Essentially a black screen means you don't have the codec installed on your machine that can decode the frames for viewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree but it opens with the Windows 10 "Movies and TV" Player. As
well as other players like VLC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also works in Cyberlink PowerDirector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... Premiere doesn't have access to it and can't decode the frames. Transcode it to something normal and you'll solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A clip working in a video player is not a bad test, but being able to play in a video player does not mean it will work in editing software, and vice versa.  

That said it does appear that the codec is H264, which should be supported. You can try turning your renderer to Software Only in the Project Settings > General. If it works after that it would be a suggestion that the GPU might be the culprit. You can try updating your GPU drivers.  

You can also try a preferences reset: hold ALT while Premiere is loading up. I've had that fix a black screen for me in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone for helping me troubleshoot this.

I was trying to import from an SD card and that was the problem. Once I copied the files to the PC and imported, I no longer had the probolem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines