• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

imported srt files into adobe premiere pro 2021 do not show time code

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imported 10 srt files and rendered perfectly ok with 10 videos as burn-in caption with premiere pro 15 ,2021 PC . Import other 10 identical srt files, same computer, same format,  to render with the same  type of videos and premiere does not recognize the time stamp except for the first sentence. as a result, premiere cannot sync video with subtitles

Original SRT file
00:00:00,320 --> 00:00:05,040
first sentence of the subtitle text

00:00:02,399 --> 00:00:08,240
second sentence of the subtitle text

00:00:05,040 --> 00:00:09,120
Third sentence of the subtitle text

Imported into Premiere pro 2021 and seen in the capti

1 00:00:00:09
00:02:23:03 first sentence of the subtitle text
second sentence of the subtitle text
third sentence of the subtitle text

Any idea ?

Thank you !

Tony

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony,

Where did these SRTs originate? Did you use a program?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you  Kevin and Trent !

I tried before these recent runs to manually typing the time code sequentially but did not change anyting at the time of importing.Now I have a total of 38 SRT files that were created with YouTube with the same computer, same person, same everything.

Out of 38 , I have completed 18 renders of videos with burn-in captions using Premiere pro 15 without any problem.

All 38 original SRT files , if played back as close caption with their respective mp4 videos work , perfectly well.

20 out of  the same set of 38 SRTs  , when imported with Premiere pro, behave the same way. Just the first sentence is recognized with time code while the rest of the text is not. As the 20 that do not work , do not belong to the same batch but are distributed all over the place I could not find a pattern.

Thanks a lot

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are youtube 2 line rolling captions. Notice that caption 3 starts at the end time of caption 1? So youtube shows line 1 only until 00:00:02,399 when it ADDS line 2. Then at 00:00:05,040 line 1 is removed, line 2 moves up, and line 3 appears, etc.

And NO, PR does not handle this structure. 

See my post (in the pre-PR 2021 caption days) about this and using SubtitleEdit to fix:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/imported-youtube-captions-doubling/m-p/11400601#M292183

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same question as Kevin, how did you create the SRT Caption file?

The sample you provide above has overlapping timecode values for line 1-3 (which shouldn't be possible/allowed). eg: line 1 ends at 00:00:05,040, yet line 2 starts at 00:00:02,399. Due to this overlap, it appears that Premiere only shows the first line since that is the only valid line (as line 2 has timecode that overlaps line 1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can latest Premiere handle/ import a txt file with no timecode, a transcript of what the speaker says,
analyse it and add timewcode, thus creating captions? Ideally offline.
We have many prescripted videos so the text just has to match the audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evan,

No, its a feature request. This link is the closest one I see. You can add a comment, or add your own. If you add one, post a link here so we can upvote it.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43157127-could-we-use-adobe...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I voted and commented in the same feature request as it essentially asks for the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uploaded the MP4 video to YouTube creator , copied the script and pasted the text onto the sync text area of the YouTube caption menu and downloaded the SRT file produced by YouTube. YouTube generates two SRT files:one called automatic, does not work with Pr. The SRT file that works with Adobe Premiere Pro is labeled English (United States) (Video Language), I imported this file with Pr, placed it on the timeline and Premiere Pro showed the correct timing. The time stamps of the automatic SRT file cause subtitles to overlaps and Pr cannot ingest it.
Thank you for your help
Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony,

Sorry if I'm not understanding. Why not simply use the speech to text function in Premiere Pro? That would give you sync with your text and it won't be overlapping. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tony, clever observation. I confirm that Youtube subtitles download works as you describe. When Youtube creates the "automatic" (i.e. Youtube generated) subtitles, it uses the 2 line rolling method. And the exported exported srt has overlapping timecodes and does not work in PR. If you upload your subtitles, it exports single line, non-overlapping timecodes which work in PR.

I did not test the part where you uploaded a "no timecode" text file.

I had the same question Kevin did - the new PR speech to text is working very well. My answer to Kevin and me (lol) is that (I assume) your transcript is fully correct and needs no editing.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines