Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.


Imported Subtitles Not The Proper Length

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to convert SMIL files to a format usable in Premiere with the program Subtitle Workshop. I have done both srt and xml and they seem to come out fine on the other end. If I open them in notepad the complete transcript is in with the time codes for each line. The problem is that when I import these files in to premiere they are not the proper length. The srt file stops at about 45 seconds in and the xml is about a minute long but starts at a random point. Is this a formatting error on my end or am I importing them improperly? 

Views

2.2K

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same/similar issue... Did you find a solution?

.SRT File Import Problem on Premiere Pro CC 2017 1.2

I'm having some really strange behaviour of an .srt file when I import into a Premiere project.

First off, the .srt file defaults to 720 x 480 in size and 1000 fps. My project video settings are 23.976 fps. My sequence lasts 3:30:00 in duration but when I drag the .srt file over it only lasts 1:30:00. The timing info for all the subtitles are out of whack. When I modify the settings of the .srt file to 23.976 fps, the subtitles then extend to over 5 minutes.

To me, it's as if Premiere is not reading the data in the .srt file properly. Do I need to export it differently than just using Notepad (or similar), changing to unicode and saving the text as a .srt file? I really thought this would be a simple import functionality on Premiere but it's not.

Thanks for your help!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through this with Adobe tech support who wound up fingering this as a bug.  It's now been made an official bug report.  I got there by exporting a caption file from  an HD project in Premiere and then importing it back in – it comes back as an SD 720 x 480 file at 1000 fps....  hopefully it will be addressed soon!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your reply. It's very frustrating. Not sure I can use your workaround as I make my subtitles in Amara online but next time I need to import in Premiere, I'll try a HD version first.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to clarify – the process I described was not a workaround.  It was the method I found to prove to tech support that there is a bug.    I didn't find any suitable workaround for importing subtitles created outside premiere.  I think the only options are to either make the subs in Premiere or export a finished film and bring it into some other video app or captioning app that works correctly

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have this problem (my original subtitle in french under Premiere Pro CC 2019 -(export in .srt) was 17 mn 26 second but my translated version (done under Subtitleworkshop) was 6 mn when i import it in Premiere  Pro...
It was line break in my .srt.  That's like Premiere Pro does not succeed to read/continue the .srt if it find more than 1 line break between two subtitles... When it uncounter more than 1 line break, it consider that the file is finished. 

So in Premiere, look at what time the subtitle stopped and open the .srt in the notepad to find this moment...

Example : your file imported in Premiere is 8 mn and 6 seconds long... look with the notepad the .srt at 8 mn and 6 seconds : certainely there are more than one empty line. Only kept 1 empty line between two subtitles.

My apologise for my english ... But if problem is solve... 🙂

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To confirm the last post above, as I just went to the exact same issue, that a double empty line is causing the flow of captions to stop at that point when importing a str file.  Note that a single exra blank line after a line number (between the line number and the timecode) is also causing the same effect.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines