Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

importer reported a generic error with .psd files

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Recently upgrades to Cs5. i'm getting the 'importer reported a generic error' when i attempt to import a .psd file. I have photoshop CS 2 installed.

When i attempt to import a jpeg, tiff, or any other still fotmat i get errors such as 'the bitdepth is not support'  and other such errors. I can not import any stills. this is really frustrating.

The work around is to export a still from time line. open it in photoshop and save it as a psd with layers. import the layer i originally wanted to import.

any ideas what could be causing this? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Welcome to the forum.

There are several considerations with still images:

They MUST be RGB.

They cannot be Indexed, or CMYK.

They cannot be Progressive JPEG's.

They cannot be a higher bit-depth, than 8-bit.

PSD's have had issues, if one Layer (or more) are much smaller than the full pixel x pixel resolution.

They cannot be larger than 4096 x 4096. Matter-of-fact, quality will be best, if one Scales to near the Project Frame Size in PS.

Let's see - bound to be a few more "they cannot be's," but I can't t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

There are several considerations with still images:

They MUST be RGB.

They cannot be Indexed, or CMYK.

They cannot be Progressive JPEG's.

They cannot be a higher bit-depth, than 8-bit.

PSD's have had issues, if one Layer (or more) are much smaller than the full pixel x pixel resolution.

They cannot be larger than 4096 x 4096. Matter-of-fact, quality will be best, if one Scales to near the Project Frame Size in PS.

Let's see - bound to be a few more "they cannot be's," but I can't think of them now.

Do any of the above apply to any of your images?

If nothing above applies, then please give us the full details on the problem files.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill. I believe it must have been one of the listed can't do's. i have been able to import different still formats sinse

PS: 25,000 posts is as big as any number i have seen on any website!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope that all goes well from now on. As files from PS can be in different Modes, etc., for print, or Web work, there can be incompatibilities, when going to video, as it has a rather narrow base of formats and Modes.

I know better, but have been tripped up, when a client handed off a CMYK JPEG. Though I have done print work with CMYK for decades, I really did not even know that a JPEG could be CMYK! I had never had the need to do that, and always handed over CMYK TIFF's. I pulled my hair out for a bit, until I took that image back into PS and checked all attributes. So, I learned something new that day.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I think that the vast majority of my posts came from asking why my client's JPEG would not Import...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm getting the same problem. However I am not imorting the psd files they are being rejected by CS5 in a upgraded project even though they origionally  imported fine in CS3 and still work in CS3. The file is a almost full image height RGB cartoon on a 1900 x 1515 backdrop 8 bit.

I have tried saving as a pdf no luck.

I don't want to change the image size because the file is used a lot and will re-locate in premiere if I altr it's dimentions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any Layers that are mostly Transparent with only a very small image of Non-transparent pixels? That has caused similar issues. In those cases, Merging the Layers with small areas has worked fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.

I have just succesfully imported the file. Basically I just imported it rather than tried to 'link media'. It does mea, unfortunately that I have to swap the reference file for each clip using the file.

Bug I think.

Hopefully they'll fix it in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did the trick. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 09, 2011 Apr 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar problem in PrPro CS5 on win 7 x64

Dimensions was allright, file was RGB and other stuff was OK too.

Anyway importer still had generic error

I tryed even convert to grayscale and save, merging layers, rotating canvas, still nothing.

As JPEG no problem, as PSD error even after convertion PSD -> JPEG -> PSD

"File-1.jpg" was good "File-1.psd" was bad

But I had some other PSD files in project allready with no problem.

SOLUTION

I don't know why, but simple file rename immediatly solved the problem.

File_1.psd is now OK

weird

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2011 Apr 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam,

Weird indeed. I have seen file naming conventions mess things up with Encore (using the Sonic AuthorCore modules), where spaces, long names and some characters caused issues, but none with PSD file names in PrPro.

The good news is that you got things working fine, and have provided a possible "fix" for others in the same boat.

Maybe Todd, Jeremy, or another, intimately familiar with the code in PrPro can comment on this. I also do not recall reading of such in previous versions of PrPro, though might have missed something along the way.

Thanks for posting your workaround, as it might well help others in the future.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, you just saved my life ... I was getting nervous over here - spent tons of time designing layout in PS for Premiere and import generated error all the time - what a fix ... nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved. thank you, had a 6000 pixel long credit psd wouldnt work in new version of premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spoke too soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit of a necropost here but I couldnt get a PSD into Premiere CC for love nor money. Had to save the thing as a GIF and then it finally took it. This "Generic error" is far from useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was just having this issue today, and I found that my PS project was in CMKY. I changed it to RGB and also when I saved it I unchecked the Embeded Color Profile option and then I was able to import into Premiere CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uggh. I'm having the same issue because my PSD got changed a bit and now ALL my layers are ƒµ©---d. I've got basically no recourse and a very unhelpful error. So I'm a bit salty.

Any thoughts about rebuilding my layers. Or am I screwed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I fixed it. Kind of. I had back uppped the file and reloaded the old one and it seems to be working. For now.

Though I can't change the PSD, which is what I was hoping to do. So I'll have to re-animate everything. Ugh.

Lessons:

• always back up

• never use layered PSDs in premiere

still salty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines