• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing After Effects Adjustment Layer to Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, so I created a colour correction adjustment layer in After Effects, and I was hoping that I could just import the After Effects composition into Premiere Pro and use it like a regular adjustment layer and put it over my clips, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Is there a way that I can import this adjustment layer from AE to Premiere Pro for use? Or do I have to import all Premiere Pro clips in my sequence into After Effects and manually put the adjustment layer on top of them? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something in the AEFX  adjustment layer that you cant do in PPRo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure. The adjustment layer has Color Curves, Brightness and Contrast, Channel Mixer, and Hue/Saturation. Even if one of the effects aren't compatible in Premiere Pro, shouldn't only that effect not show up in Premiere? Instead, all of the effects do not show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think shooternz was just curious (like I am) as to why you'd go over to AfterEffects and  back to do something that can be done within PrPro ... without perhaps the additional work steps & computer load. So ... why AE for such basic color work?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out how to get a color correction that I like in After Effects, but when I do it in Premiere it just doesn't seem the same. I match the numbers but everything seems different, so I felt doing it in After Effects would be much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The programs are very different in both code and how the similar effects are ... structured? The numbers between the two will not correlate exactly.

At first, one expects that Ae & PrPro would be essentially built on the same "platform" (for lack of a better term that comes to mind) such that the "same" effect in one does exactly what the other would. I'm not sure how much code is duplicated between Ae & PrPro, but I think it's very little ... if any. So as you've noted, an Adjustment layer from one doth not automatically copy into the other as an AL.

Which still leaves me a bit curious. I'd assume you're perhaps more experienced in Ae than PrPro if you went there to figure out color stuff, rather than use the tools in PrPro, which in general is a "simpler" program to use. But assumptions over a forum aren't worth the pixels they're built on.

Personally, there are some things for essentially "color" modification that Ae can do that PrPro can't. Other than that, I stay very much in PrPro. Except for when I use Patrick Zadrobilek's Ntown PrPro BCC app to take a 2017 project into SpeedGrade 2015.1 in the same manner as the prior "Direct Link" mode.

Lumetri, particularly used with say the Tangent Ripple control surface, can be very fast and capable for most of the stuff you mention.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll want to replace the clips in your PR Timeline with an AE Comp and then apply the AE Adjustment Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question and the condescending answers from you two do not help. @shooternz and @R Neil Haugen 

I've created an adjustment layer in After Effects with plugins/effects that are only compatible with AE. Now, can I export or import that adjustment layer to Pr in order for it to be applied to my clips? 

I'm passing the project off to an editor who doesn't use AE so it needs to be within the Pr project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I doubt that an Adjustment layer could work in your case, because PrPro would need access to that plugin. If it's a plugin or effect specific to Ae, that would need to be in a comp as Warren noted in the original thread. Which means the editor would need both Ae and that plugin within Ae to work the comp, most likely.

The 'math' doesn't come along with the AL, the AL just uses a link to the effect or plugin. AL's are essentially just a "container" of the list of effects and their settings. They don't include the actual effect.

So for that, I would recommend a rather typical approach for many vfx things run over to Ae ... 'fix' the clip in Ae, export it out to a good intermediate format codec, and use that clip to replace the original media on the timeline. Direct, effective, and reliable.

Past that ... I've re-read this thread a couple times. It's of course a four year old thread, and both Ae and PrPro have changed quite a bit since then. But still ... I can't for the life of me see "condescending" anywhere.

The OP was applying color correction steps in Ae that can mis-fire when brought into PrPro unless you know how to perzactly set the color in Ae to match PrPro. Each step they were doing could be as easily done in PrPro, without the inherent issues of mis-fired color management. Which is why both shooternz and I questioned the workflow. It's got built-in problems.

And we both had plenty of experience trying to help other users with those mis-match issues. Which still occur regularly. And yes, I deal with at least one Ae/PrPro color managment issue a week. Some weeks, more. That's just in my time volunteering around here and a couple other places.

Hence, we both asked about the reasons for doing so (yes, there can be very valid reasons of course!) and to check on the knowledge level of the OP to help in answering the query.Simply getting data for best help, not only to that user but to all who will read this thread later.

Warren's answer was direct of course, but ... again, unless you've got the experience to work the two apps color management together, you might not get what you would be expecting.

And ... four years later ... Lumetri has come a long way in capabilities since this post, and I haven't used Ae for color in a couple years. No reason to now.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines