Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing AVCHD spanned files into Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a new Premiere user.

I'd like to figure out how to import my spanned AVCHD files from my SONY FS5II as a single video clip instead of breaking up all my shots.

I've tried using the media browser and selecting the 'AVCHD' file inside the 'PRIVATE' folder. But this still brings the video in in its separate MTS files.

Secondly, I"m getting this error message, although the files seem to play, edit and export just fine:

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 12.18.09 PM.png

I'm shooting AVCHD 1080/30p FX format if that makes any difference.

Any solutions on combining spanned clips in import?

Or what the error messages are for?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

1. Copy the entire SD card to the Media drive.  Do not delete, rename or move anything inside those folders.

2. Make sure the Media Browser is seeing the folder as AVCHD and not as Files.  (Drop down filter to the left of the eye.)

3. Use the Media Browser for Import duties.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Copy the entire SD card to the Media drive.  Do not delete, rename or move anything inside those folders.

2. Make sure the Media Browser is seeing the folder as AVCHD and not as Files.  (Drop down filter to the left of the eye.)

3. Use the Media Browser for Import duties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am following the steps you outline above, but importing the file that says AVCHD still breaks up the video into MTS clips. Here's what the import window looks like:

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 1.17.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That filter symbol between the wrench and the eye, what's it set to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's set to 'all supported files'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per Step 2 above, change that to AVCHD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing AVCHD as an option in the drop down. Bit other recording formats are missing as well like XAVC which is the other format I can shoot.

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 1.32.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a bad install.  Try Step 2F below, and if that doesn't help, Step 3E.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about making a program that works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since you do not explain your video editing system, I will assume Premiere Pro CS6 as is mine. I tried many proposed solutions that in the long run did not perform as I expected.  Finally I followd a suggestion in the forum to do the following:

I installed my AVCHD file into my Premiere Pro then exported without editing to MP4.  This resulted in an mpg file that I imported into Premiere Pro CS6 to edit successfully.

I did not try other exports.  It appears that codecs are capable of directly transcoding even though the apps may be incapable of editing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines