• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing clips

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a folder of clips on my OneDrive. I imported the folder, but about half of the clips aren't there. I get an error message that says "We were unable to open the file on disk." I went back to the source folder, and they open there. And about half of them open in Premiere Pro. Any idea what I need to do? Thank you.

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy them from OneDrive to a local folder on your computer and then import into Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy them from OneDrive to a local folder on your computer and then import into Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

It gets stranger--I have Premiere on my desktop and laptop. On my desktop, the files are all imported just fine. When I open the project on my laptop, some of the files are missing--offline. I did import the whole folder to my desktop on my laptop (now that's confusing!), but they still don't appear in the laptop version. Is this a probelm to go to Adobe Support to answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your comments, I'm not sure what you mean by importing the desktop folder on your laptop ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was confusing. I found an on-campus colleague, I needed to create a local folder in the laptop, not just a shortcut to the files. I didn't understand the difference, but now I have it all set. Thank you for your responses and help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same problem. I bought a new desktop, onedrive installed and all files available, but premiere pro won't reloacte them any of them with the report message saying 'The importer reported a generic error.'.

How do you create a local folder? Onedrive itself is already a folder on my pc, so I don't understand the diffference either? There are way too many files to just copy them, it would take up too much memory.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OneDrive, like most syncing operations, routinely goes through all the folders in it's purview and checks them for 'new things' at which point it copies them up to the cloud and changes the file attributes markings. In doing so, it can set some file header data to something other than what Premiere has seen on importing a file.

At which point, Premiere no longer sees that file as the same as the one that it has in it's own database. And as this can happen at times say every 15 minutes, it can be a right royal pain. Especially if your preferences and such are involved!

So trying to work with files that are included in a OneDrive system can be dicey. Some manage it, but on my "new" rig last fall, it was a royal mess. Premiere couldn't even download/sync my preferences. I had to figure out how to totally obliterate OneDrive, as simply uninstalling it left Windows re-installing it every reboot!

So I had to fight the OS to get OneDrive obliterated, then to get all the folders that had been moved by Windows into the OneDrive folder setup back into their NORMAL locations. This was about a three day project, before I could really be back working in Premiere with all my prefs, presets, LUTs, workspaces, everything.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I have to find a solution no matter what. I have to be able to work from both my desktop and laptop on the project.

The weird thing is, when I start a new project and try to import the files that gave a generic issue before, they continue to do so in that complete new project. On my laptop I can open them just fine.

And also, not all files give this issue, only certain ones, and there is no real criteria for it it seems.

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OneDrive and most other off-site backup/storage processes continually update the data on the local drive compared to the online storage ... and every time they do, they 'refresh' the data on each file. This messes up PrPro's data about the file. As the data in the file header has changed, Pr cannot 'find' the file it is looking for.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines