• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing .srt file, incomplete text

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a bunch of .srt files generating by a translator into Chinese...after some struggle and learning on this forum, we figured out that the files had to be encoded in UTF-16 in order for the Chinese characters to show up in Premiere. But now, when we import the .srt, we're only getting roughly half the text. When I look at the .srt in text edit, all the text is there, including the Chinese characters. But in Premiere, it's only coming in half the length. This is reflected in the running time of the file as well. Everything is still synced properly with the video, but the words just abruptly stop about midway through. Anyone know what's going on? What the solution might be?

Thanks,

Arne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please reference where you learned the file needed to be encoded UTF-16?

MissionPictures  wrote

...after some struggle and learning on this forum, we figured out that the files had to be encoded in UTF-16 in order for the Chinese characters to show up in Premiere. ...

I would like to document this for a research project I am on.

Thank you,

Chad Stuart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In this link you can browse and find all Unicode list of characters: https://unicode-table.com/en/47D0/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my problem is just that, the import goes incomplete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, I still can not solve.

Wictor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On top of ALL the other subtitle problems I am having (TONS OF WORK LOST BECAUSE OF SUBTITLE BUGS!!!!!!!!!!! (Rant) ), I am now having THIS problem too.

Absolutely unbelievable.  Adobe, you're QA and/or product owners are pathetic.  I am not even going to waste time ranting anymore.  I will say this though, I will NEVER in my life be touching Premiere Pro for any of my professional video work again.  Ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users have found this issue if there is a flaw in the .srt file I think at the point the text stops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was exactly it! Three of the in and out points had exactly the same timecode so I changed them that all of the subs had some time to shine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading your tips on fixing importing incomplete SRT-files, I cleaned up my problem file: deleted extra enters and changed overlapping time codes. The duration of the file did become slighty longer when imported in Premiere Pro, but I still havent managed to import the complete subtitles. Would you perhaps know why Premiere won't import my whole file? (https://www.dropbox.com/s/upmvium5cubcuvi/Interview%20Anne%20Seghersversie%204-en-US.srt?dl=0)

p.s. I'm using version 13.1.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caption 217 has a bad start timecode; it should have only 3 digits (milliseconds). Based on the previous timecode, it should probably be 435.

So, instead of: 00:13:56,4350 --> 00:13:59,380

00:13:56,435 --> 00:13:59,380

This imports to PR. But the timecodes aren't right, probably because I have the wrong time settings when I import.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan I just have the same problem, I can't find the problem tho in my srt file, it seems ok.

But only work on the first 7 minutes of duration, most of it is missing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally figure out my self, the error shown when the TC doesn't right like: unnecessary space, between the milliseconds there's (.) instead of (,), to get quicker finding which line are the error what I did is importing the srt file to PR and it shown the start missing line, fixing it manually in text/edit, save the srt, and clear the previous srt file  in PR and re-imported again, and you can see the duration of the srt file will adding, and repeat again, until I got my srt file works to the end duration of the video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same issue, the Chinese turned into too many lines/characters for Premiere to handle.
I manually changed the text file so the .srt was split when there was more than two lines of characters.
This did the job for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is user to user forum where we users help each other. The Adobe engeneers do not always read everything here. If you feel strongly about a (new)feature or (bug) fix please post it on uservoice, as it will be read by the engeneers.
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue. I opened up the SRT file in a text editor or note and looked at the last subtitle that showed in my Premiere timeline. The very next subtitle had an IN point that was after the OUT point, so that messed up everything after that point. If you correct that timecode, re-save the SRT file, it should import the whole thing.  For reference, it looked like this. Note that 18:55 is AFTER 18:03.

00:18:55,782 --> 00:18:03,582
When he came we decided we would stay

in Poland until things work out in Ukraine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines