• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In exported video, volume of loud audio is decreased, as is audio immediately after it. How to fix?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

My video is mainly speaking/narration, but there are also occasional sound effects which peak at or near 0dB, and a few musical interludes that peak at or near 0dB. 

After exporting the video I noticed that after each loud sound effect or loud musical interlude, the speaking/narration that follows it is very quiet, and difficult to hear, for a couple of seconds before returning to normal volume. This is not the case in the video editor, only after export.

I also noticed that the musical interludes and sound effects are much quieter in the exported video than they are in the video editor. 

It seems that Adobe is forcing normalization of the audio, quieting down the loud parts, and that this effect lasts for a couple seconds even after the loud sound has ceased. This doesn't occur during playback in the video editor, only in the exported video.

I don't want this to happen, it's causing parts of the speaking/narration to be difficult to hear. And I want the music/effects to be loud.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Some info:

- I'm using Premiere Pro 2020, version 14.03 Build 1

- I've made sure that I'm using high quality audio settings

- I tried exporting in both H.264 and QuickTime

- I tried lowing the volume of the loud parts by 1dB but it didn't help (I don't want to lower it more because I want these parts to be loud)

Thanks very much in advance!

TOPICS
Audio , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Are you sure your playback software or device has not got some sort of automatic gain control.

What does the export sound like if you bring it back into Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to say this but can't edit post: None of the loud parts are louder than 0dB; all peak at or below 0dB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure your playback software or device has not got some sort of automatic gain control.

What does the export sound like if you bring it back into Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! You're 100% right, this was exactly the problem. In addition to being relieved and grateful, I'm also amazed you were able to figure it out just like that. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

30 years as a sound mixer, you come across most things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines