Exit

Insert clip to FILL gap, not delete

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I've got a long timeline setup with audio and video all synced together nicely, and I've got gaps in the timeline with no video (audio correctly continues). I want to fill those gaps with b roll that I've shot but every time I add the clips on top, if they're longer than the gap it overwrites the next clip. 

Is there a way to simply drag a video on any length into the gap and it just fills with however long the gap is. E.g. if I have a 2 second gap and drag a 10 second clip in, it automatically crops the video to 2 seconds and fills that gap?

All my Google searches and forum searches tell me how to delete the gap, this is not what I want. 

Ive recently moved from LumaFusion where this is a real time saver! 

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

As far as I know, no dragging.

Set in and outpoint in timeline (and inpoint source clip), then hit overwrite.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set them a track higher and trim or use 3 point editing.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/three-point-edits.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also looking for the same solution as the OP. Is there not a key to hold down or setting to toggle on or something so I can drag a clip and have it automatically fill a gap? The workaround I'm doing right now is to set in and out points on the timeline, select the clip in the library and hit "." and select "Change Clip Speed (Fit to Fill). Which is fine, but there's gotta be a way to drag a clip into a gap and have it automatically fit, right?? I'd rather do it that way if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As far as I know, no dragging.

Set in and outpoint in timeline (and inpoint source clip), then hit overwrite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines