Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Instability issue with legacy titles

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m completely new to actually posting a thread in this community. Really looking forward to getting practical help on the issue that I’m facing.

I've been using PP and AE for a series of projects with the editing team I'm working with, which necessicates using legacy title features pre-designed by the team. Converting to the new Essential Graphics feature is not an option for me, unless the team comes up with new designs that can replace those done with legacy title workspace, so I'm kind of forced to work on the outdated versions of PP, namely the earliest version of 2022(22.0), versions that came out for 2021, or even earlier.

I had been doing my projects specifically on the latest of 2021 (version 15.4.1) since I figured that version to be the most stable with legacy titles among others, up until just three days ago when I encountered a strange bug.

I was aware that PP tends to change the moment I launch legacy title windows after dismissing the prompt telling me that the feature will go obsolete with later updates, some of the symptoms being minor instability in accessing the UI, minor stutters during playback – none of which completely rendered the program unworkable. The software does run considerably smoothly without activataing (thus, seemingly altering the way PP functions) legacy titles but only sticking to Essential Graphics whenever I need text in the video. That alone is already a matter of discussion the way I see it, whether it be incompatibility issues related to rewriting the scripts during updates, or some other unseen causes.

But the issue I had three days ago was kind of different. Right after activating legacy title PP seemed to have become even more instable than what I was used to. The most fundamental issue that still persists is that, right after I press ALT + TAB to switch between Windows Explorer tab and PP to find and import PNG images, PP immediately FREEZES for roughly 5 seconds the moment I press space for previewing or I move the playhead along the timeline.

What’s even more exasperating is that reproducing that freezing incident doesn’t actually require actions of new imports; just switch between tabs, return to PP and try to make changes on timeline specifically, and immediately the entire program window goes semi-transparent. One thing I did find is that the freezing occurs ONLY when I engage timeline section of the workspace; actions other than that (importing images, navigating the preferences) don’t seem to be problematic in this scenario.

I seriously need to solve this glitch once and for all, since the content of the projects necessitates me to frequently navigate between Chrome for instant research, and Explorer for locating files to import, and back to PP to complete the actions. Below are the measures that I’ve tried on my own:

Turning off acceleration features (HEVC acceleration, Mercury CUDA engine) and running the program only on the software itself

Turning down the preview resolution down to quarter

Unchecking HQ preview option

Disabling real time audio preview while scrubbing through timeline

Turning off audio waveforms

Attaching Proxies (ProRes Low Resolution MOV)

Resetting the workspace

Resetting the preferences on starting PP by pressing ALT

Resetting the plugins on startup by pressing CTRL

Purging the media cache

Reinstalling the ENTIRE Adobe CC applications after cleaning up the system of whatever traces of previous Adobe using Cleanup Tool

Uninstalling all the external plugins I was using (MAXON, MisterHorse)

Installing earlier versions of PP (2018, 2019, 2021, courtesy of Adobe agents) and importing the xml file of cuts I made using 2022

UPDATING WINDOWS

UPDATING GRAPHICS DRIVER

UPDATING CHIPSETS

Shutting down inbound/outbound connections of Premiere Pro via Firewall

SFC /scannow

Disabling overclock tweaks

CLEAN INSTALLING Windows after wiping the booting disk

… all of which have proved to be pointless.

Should anyone have any insight on the issue I’m facing please feel free to comment, I feel like this issue regarding legacy titles hasn’t been discussed thoroughly on this community as yet.

I would also appreciate if any of the Adobe engineers active in this community would explain why I'm experiencing instability & increased lag once I click away at the warning message after opening legacy title window.

Here are the specs of the system I’m running on:

Windows 10

I9 12900K

32GB RAM (KLEVV, boosted to 6400 CL32)

MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Barracuda 3TB

MSI TORPEDO Z690 DDR5

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most things done in the Legacy Titler, including inner/outer strokes, multiple strokes, gradients, rounded edges, all sorts of things, are now possible in the EGP.

Even the same keyboard shortcuts are available for the EGP.

And you will need to migrate to the new system.

I would add, for creating the motion graphics, AfterEffects is actually far more capable, and not that difficult to use for graphics work. They completely designed this new system to run by creating the graphics in Ae and deploying them to users in PrPro. There's a free ebook by Pr/Ae expert Jarle Leirpoll on an Adobe site ... it's a great and easy read with plenty of samples.

And gets you started doing some amazing things in Ae and porting them out for teams to use in PrPro quickly.

Neil

Jarle’s Making Mogrt’s ebook on Adobe blog

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! As Neil already said, it is highly recommended that you transition as soon as possible. It is no surprise that you are seeing instablities. As we have been developing new features inside Premiere Pro this was affecting Legacy title code. One more reason to retire the tool.

I am a Quality Engineer on the team working on Essential Graphics and happy to help out as needed. I will reach out to you with a PM!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
promo
COLLABORATION TIPS

Powerful video collaboration and approval features newly integrated in Premiere Pro