Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPhone ProRes : difference between Premiere and render

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have ProRes shots from iPhone 13 Pro. I added a color correction with Lumetri then a LUT but the render is pretty different between my preview and the final file as you can see here :render.png

It looks over-exposed and saturated. The iPhone is filming in ProRes 422 HQ and colors are Rec 2100 HLG.

I tried to export in H.264, both with Rec 2100 HLG and Rec 709 but result is the same.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Thanks for writing in. Could you post the screenshot of the HLG export? Are you getting the same result after importing the exported media in Premiere Pro? 

Let us know.

Kartika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I do a HLG export (Apple ProRes 422 HQ + Rec 2100 HLG) I obtain this :

FloranK_0-1654799922027.png

If I import it onto my sequence I have the same colorimetry than the original rush :

FloranK_1-1654799984060.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a color space mis-match issue. Your phone is set to shoot in HLG ... an HDR format. I'd recommend for now leaving that set to 'standard video', Rec.709 or SDR. Very few current screens actually handle HDR well if at all.

For the clips you've shot, you need go to the clips in the bin, select one or more, right-click/Modify/Interpret Footage, and set the Override option to Rec.709.

Now undo any Lumetri you have previously applied, and redo. It will now export correctly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought filming in HLG was great because I have more color and exposure details to do my colorimetry ? I voluntary shot with the ProRes option enabled, and I thought I can do my color correction and then export to a most "flat" format. I'm false?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can go ahead and shoot in HLG if you want ... just understand

1) very few screens can actually properly handle HDR at this time, and it will take another 2-4 years to get past that, so Rec.709 delivery is for most things still more usable and

2) shooting HLG and delivering Rec.709 will take more work on your part.

In the public beta, they've now added an option to the Seqeucne CM settings to auto-tonemap any non-compliant color space clip on a Rec.709 sequence. That will maybe take care of item 2 when it ships.

You probably should add the public beta to your system, and you can do so without changing/removing anything including current 'shipping' version. Test that option to auto-tonemap.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines