• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is HDR broken in Pr 2022? 2100 HLG with HEVC 10bit 4:2:0 blown out ?

Engaged ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Source is iPhone 13 Pro Max with 4K 60 HDR recording, looks GREAT during playback on my iPhone.

Export the MOV to Pr 2022 and load Pr and it looks terrible, whites are blown out.

I've verified Adobe Pr settings/preferences:

• Display Color Management = checked
  • Extended dynamic range monitoring (when available) = checked
  • Optimize rendering for: Memory

Sequence Settings:

• Apple ProRes 4444
  • Max Bit Depth = checked
  • Max Render Quality = checked (this settings does NOT save??)
  • Composite in Linear Color is grayed out???

I've tried my monitor at 8 bpc Full range RGB, 10 bpc Full range RGB, 10 bpc YCbCr422 and YCbCr444 and this settings make no difference if output (white still blown out).

In addition, when I check "Max Bit Depth" and "Max Render Quality" I get a warning about setting Optimize rendering for "Memory" when it already IS set to "Memory"??

It feels like HDR in Pr 2022 is VERY broken, is it just me?  Anyone else successfully worked with iPhone 13 HDR video at 4K 60 FPS in Pr and it looked good?

GPU is an nvidia RTX Titan 24GB VRAM with latest nVidia Studio Drivers (not game drivers) v512.59.

FYI: I did check Kevin's post here and I'm last option working in HDR with HDR and an HDR monitor/cable with HDR capable GPU with my OS set for HDR.

Rob.

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

SOLUTION:

Upgraded to Windows 11.

So all my troubles are because YouTube wouldn't recognize my PC as being HDR enabled under Windows 10.  I just upgraded to Windows 11 yesterday and now all my HDR videos on YouTube are showing the HDR logo.

From iPhone 13 Pro Max

https://youtu.be/CojO6VkAq0Q

From nVidia video capture PC output

https://youtu.be/IaLcMnmmPAU

Needs some color grading and more work, but they finally show up as HDR now on YouTube.  So I was getting all the Pr settings correct, it was sim

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's definitely a bug ... but it's because you have ..

...Using hardware accel... 

By @movingimage

If you switch over to software rendering then that option will stick.  The issues seems to be Adobe understanding the various GPUs (and drivers) and what they can and can't do ... anyway, side point, Adobe should simply NOT show the option if the GPU hardware isn't able to support the Max Render Quality option ... allowing users to check this option but ignoring the user input because of hardware acceleration is just going to trigger confusion and more support questions.

I'm not sure what Hardware actually support Max Render Quality but I'm guessing something very expensive and exotic as you definitely do NOT want to be rendering as software as that will take forever and a day pending project and encoder.

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines