• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it best to create dynamic link between Premiere and AE in one file or multiple files?

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is my question that I havent found a good answer still and I want to know what you guys use as a workflow.

When I edit videos for a Youtube client, we have multiple animations in the video that I use After Effects for. I always send these parts from premiere to AE to edit, but I don't know if I should create just one single AE file for the whole premiere project, or multiple AE files.

Is there a difference in performance depending on which one I choose? I know creating multiple files makes me open After Effects multiple times slowing down, but also helps to organize the files

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

I do think it's a circumstantial thing and depends on how much work you're doing in AE for each one of these shots.

I know for me personally when I am doing a video where I have like 3-5 - typically quite basic - shots to do in AE, I'll often just keep one AE project. 

But in an agency setting then usually the shots are broken out into their own independent project files. Part of that is because you may have different animators assigned to different shots.  

I would also note that in the l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple files would probably allow AE to run better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do think it's a circumstantial thing and depends on how much work you're doing in AE for each one of these shots.

I know for me personally when I am doing a video where I have like 3-5 - typically quite basic - shots to do in AE, I'll often just keep one AE project. 

But in an agency setting then usually the shots are broken out into their own independent project files. Part of that is because you may have different animators assigned to different shots.  

I would also note that in the latter scenario Dynamic Links may be used to send content over to an AE project, but they are never maintained. In the former scenario when it's just me sometimes I'll maintain the links, but usually I break the links as well. Dynamic Link is convenient but does not play super nicely with shared workflows, archiving projects, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome!! That's usually what I have been doing for a while. If it's a simple video with not much stuff I use the same project, or if the animations are similar and I want to copy some stuff between them.

Usually tho I make different AE files for longer video, so I'm glad I have the right mindset here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines