• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it normal to have a laggy timeline with a great PC?

Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pretty decent PC but some transitions make my timeline laggy. Is there a problem in my settings or is it normal? I bought these transitions from template websites, e.g., glitch transitions in particular are laggy. The timeline becomes 'red' when I add the glitch transition to the timeline. Rendering these glitch transitions doesn't really work because it takes up to 5 minutes (1800+ frames). Since I have many many transitions in my videos it will take forever if I render each and every one of them before seeing how it looks.

Just a normal slide transition or so works without rendering and the timeline stays yellow.

Thank you for reading and for any tips you can give me.

PC specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

RAM 64.0 GB

samsung SSD 970 evo plus 1TB

nivdia GeForce rtx 2080 ti 11 gb

I have the latest adobe premiere, the latest windows, and the latest nivdia driver. It's a gaming driver.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These templates you are talking about, quickly build many complicated structures to generate the desired effect.

It adds multiple layers (often 3 or more) to each transition area.

Now, you are talking about many transitions.

I can imagine how your timeline is filled with blocks that the templates need.

Using templates as transitions has a lot of disadvantages:

• Slow renders because each layer holds a minimum of 1 effect applied, often more, 
  • Overcomplicated sequences
  • It is hard to change the transition length
  • Adjusting the effect is nearly impossible
  • You must be satisfied with the effect you get, or replace the entire block with another template.
  • Some templates even import video files, that may not match your sequence resolution and frame rate.

Even with a well-equipped PC, you are struggling with performance.

This is what templates do.

Try working with actual transitions (software/plugins) that work natively in Premiere Pro.

In general, they will cost a lot more than templates.

But you will benefit from the speed and versatility this will bring to your edits.

Here are some good providers of well-built fx:

BorisFX , Red Giant , Film Impact video transitions 

Premiere Gal launched an excellent video on clever video transitions that blew my mind:

Smart drag and drop transitions for Premiere Pro 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I followed your advice and downloaded and installed Red Giant Universe. In the beginning, it was all nice and all. But after a while it resulted in errors like 'a low-level exception occurred in ..' or just black screens and I couldn't even do anything with my PC.

I'm not sure this is better than just using templates ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try Film Impact. These are the ones I use the most and render the fastest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines