• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Premiere Pro compatible with macOS 11 High Sierra

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Premiere Pro compatible with macOS (10.13) High Sierra? I'm afraid to update macOS to find out Premiere doesnt work well anymore. Happened twice with previous macOS updates.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Hi Basb,

I talked to product management. You should be good to go with macOS High Sierra right now. As an editor, I would not change the OS if I was in the middle of an important project, however.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

benobvb​, in what format was the clip that caused the crash upon import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same thing here; I just tried to import another PrPro project into a new one and it crashed shortly afterwards.  Only way out is a force quit as well.

I just updated Mac OS X this morning; didn't even occur to me that PrPro would be incompatible, coming from a company like Adobe.  <Sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just thoroughly puzzled. Apple has dropped several OS's that have been disasters at 'drop' for so many users in so many programs, not just Adobe's ... and people still automatically trust Apple a new Apple OS and assumes every vendor with a complex program will have done any and all rewriting of their program to mesh with the new OS in all circumstances at 'drop'.

It's not logical, of course. It's not 'historically accurate', of course. Many of the issues of new Apple OS's have needed update patches from Apple to correct them, clearly showing the problems were with the  OS not vendor apps.

But ... so many still absolutely assume everything from Apple will be perfect.

I just don't get it. Especially for professionals with looming deadlines and their reputations at stake.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not helpful, Neil....

Adobe support said PrPro was compatible; apparently it is not.  Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?  So far this has happened when I tried importing a PrPro project into a new one, when I created a new project then tried to import a PSD file, and when I created a new project file and dropped a .JPG file in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Adobe ( though still a more Mac comfy shop than PC) doesn't have 5,000 or more computers at hand of all sorts and eras running Mac OS. So I would guess initial testing is with rather a small subsample of the total Mac market.

Even among Macs. which due to Apple's non-upgrade builds (for the most part) have enough variables that it's difficult to say that X is safe for every user ... until a lot of users have tried X.

It's simple logic, to me, and I don't write this to be rude, but to suggest a bit of caution to my peers. I do not like it when folks are hit by things that take them away from being able to get work done. I don't care what the issue is, I just want to help folks get the work out under the conditions that pertain at the moment.

It just seems the better, prudent course to wait a bit on OS changes. Or was there something crucial about the new OS you had to have for your shop to operate?

If not, what would have been the cost of waiting a bit to see how other early adopters fare?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BenoBVB,

did you find a solution ?

Because I did the update as well, not knowing it wouldn't work and I don't know what to do to fix it ?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - this is what Adobe support is recommending.  Open a project and go to:

File->Project settings->General->Renderer->Mercury playback software only

This takes it to just render on the CPU (no GPU).  They say the engineers are aware of the issue and working on a permanent fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have solved my issue! Thank you sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to High Sierra, reading several posts it should be OK. Macbook Pro 15' early 2013 here with NVIDIA GT 650M graphic card 16GB memory. Under Sierra no problems at all, with High Sierra PrPro always crashed during exporting project, using Metal or Open CL. Using software rendering only helped, no crashes during rendering, but PrPro randomly crashed by doing nothing several minutes to hours after.

Same happened after upgrading to PrPro 2018.

It helped only, when i downgraded to Sierra Again using Time Capsule and now no problems again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this issue!

I can no longer use multi-cam on my mac in high sierra.

It crashes each time I attempt to enable multi-cam in the program window.

New project on Premiere 2018, same results.

Please help!

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 22.00.52.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.

Do not install High Sierra. Since I've updated, I can not use Premiere Pro more than 60 seconds until it crashes.

I can not find a solution anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crashes on opening EVERY SINGLE TIME  - cannot even open a project

When is the patch coming?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Massive problems for me too.

Upgraded to the full suite of Adobe CC -> two days later I upgraded to High Sierra. Bad timing!

I tried to change the renderer but now exports are taking forever.

Will change back to Avid until this problem is fixed. What a nightmare. Now I know never to update MacOS again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

I might have found a solution

So, changing to "Mercury Playback Engine (software only) makes the rendering take like x5 amount of time. Horribly slow.

However, the problem seem to be, for me at least, connected to Premiere Pro.

So if you in Premiere change to Software only and then go CMD+M (export) -> fix all your export settings -> Queue -> the project will open in Media Encoder instead. Now, close Premiere and in Media Encoder, change renderer to "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acc (openCL).

It does not crash for me and it feeeeels like it's a faster rendering than from (software only) in Premiere Pro.

Plz give me your thoughts on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow ... glad I happened to see all these posts on High Sierra ...

bottom line .. what is the highest Mac OS you truly feel comfortable with right now .. i’m Still on Yosemite .. everything is and has been great ..    because of Resolve and other software I need to upgrade ...

but how  high is the best right now ??

thank you !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, I wish I never hit the upgrade button.

Having lots of work and no editing software to do a multicam edit. Wonder how mad my boss is going to be that I hit "upgrade"

Adobe please find a work around for us mac users that were so stupid as to think this would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Heelo guys. I just downgraded my OS to high Sierra, where could I download Premier and After Effects version to run here?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines