• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues sending MP4 clips to client

Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I was asked to shoot some video clips with my drone and camera. I ended up using my iphone 13 pro max. For simplicities sake I edited it down using Quicktime on my Mac. When I sent to my client using Hightail they had issues trying to watch some of them and they got a message saying  they need to buy a  HEIF Codec. They also got player does not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file. Does anyone know what might be happening? Would the same problem occur using Premier Pro? I need to send more clips to a client this week. Thanks.

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey James Godish,

You shouldn't have any issues with playback while importing iPhone 13 source files into Premiere Pro. Do you wish to use Premiere Pro to preview or edit the videos? If you want to preview the videos, Premiere can do the job, but it won't be ideal for that task.

Thanks,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I've used Premier pro, just wondering what is going on when I send these MP4 files. Is it that my client needs to upgrade or that I need to save to something other than MP4? I'm doing everything on a mac....Quicktime is just "quicker" since it's just quick clips that I'm sending. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your export settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing this through quicktime and just trimming the image and saving. It's an MP4 file from a dji drone and iphone 13. I'm doing this all on a mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were to go to Quicktime and hit export 4k is not greyed out so I must be sending 4k MP4 files. If I save as 1080p it saves as a .mov file. I wonder if my problem is sending 4k?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a choice of "Greater Compatibility H.264" & Smaller file size (HEVC) if I go to export through quicktime. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixelpop,

I'm a little confused by this thread, so forgive me if my comments are not on target. There are 2 issues; 1) why did your client have problems viewing the clips you exported from the Quicktime app on your Mac and 2) how should you export clips from Premiere Pro for client viewing.

The codecs now being used for iPhones (and many others) are not installed by default on Windows 10 (and I don't know what other Windows versions). The user if prompted to install the codec, and gets to the Microsoft store where they're asked to pay - the fact that 99 cents is very little is beside the point. They're confused and don't understand why they can't just watch the video! We ran into this in our home owners association when the new on line system was sending iPhone photos to the maintenance chairperson who couldn't view them.

> "I have a choice of "Greater Compatibility H.264" & Smaller file size (HEVC) if I go to export through quicktime."

Pick the H.264.

To maximize your client being able to view the file, if using Premiere Pro, just export as H.264 (you'll get an .mp4).

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan for the clarification. Everything I did was in QuickTime. No
Premier Pro at all. My client said that some videos worked while others
didn’t which I thought was a bit odd until I remembered the first day I
shot 1080p and the next day 4k. Was wondering if that could have been an
issue. I have to send more drone footage tomorrow to another client. Is 4k
overkill? Thanks --
Thanks!
Jim Godish

[Personal information removed by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 1080 content was probably encoded with a codec the client has.

If the client needs to see the full resolution, send 4K. If they just need to comment on what you are including, 1080 might be okay.

Generally, I'm sharing through Vimeo, so the issue becomes my account type and upload limits. If you haven't, look at Frame.io - just click on the Review tab in the Premiere Pro workspaces.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help Stan. Appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines