• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with clip instances and linking

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have many projects going on at the same time with at least 2-3 people collaborating each one and we have been having issues with Premiere. This is the scenario:

1. On Computer A, Import a video file into Premiere, and place it on the timeline (for example, a lower third graphic called L3_Michael_v1.mov) >Save the project

2. Right click it in the bin, and relink it to a new version of the file (e.g. L3_Michael_v2.mov)

>Save the project

3. Open the project on Computer B. The issue presents itself in a variety of collaboration contexts, for example:

a. The project and its assets are stored on Dropbox
   b. Computer B accessing Computer A’s files directly via network share
   c. Removing hard drive from Computer A and plugging into Computer B

4. Computer B sees L3_Michael_v2.mov as the clip label in the bin, and also as the clip label on the timeline. However, the pixel data shown on the timeline is that of L3_Michael_v1.mov. Right clicking on the clip in the bin or timeline, and choosing Reveal in Finder, shows that it is actually connected to L3_Michael_v1.mov

it doesn’t happen 100% of the time

It’s also possible that project is accessed by different computers between steps 1 and 2 to trigger the issue; have not fully confirmed this.

Basically we end up having to double check each time because even if it says it's linking one file the output gives us an old version.

It would be great to have some help and try to fix it.

Thank you

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using Dropbox or WeTransfer or similar online storage is problematic. It's the way they work that causes the issue.

There is another option, using the LucidLink service to manage the files from the storage to your system. My partner is in Cape Town, I'm In Oregon, US West Coast.

Our files 'live' on an Amazon S3 in London. LucidLink creates a "virtual" drive on our computers, that we acces just like it was a physical drive. And shows all our files in London.

He's on the phone, tells me he's uploading a folder of media. Within seconds that folder appears on my LL virtual drive. In another few seconds, I see filenames. And a few seconds later, I can import files into Premiere, even dropping them on sequences.

They aren't fully loaded up to London yet!

But LL "intelligently" breaks the files into packets that are sent in such a way as to be immediately usable.

This works with media up through pretty hefty as long as your ISP speed is above 200Mbps or so. If a file is problematic, and stutters on playback, you can 'pin' that file and LL will 'cache' it on your local computer, but reference it as still being within the folder structure of the LL virtual drive.

Now ... mogrts are not typicaly stored in Project folders but either CC Libraries or "local folders". But you can set those to local folders, using the LucidLink filespace, and make them available to all users of the project.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines