Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Unified Plugin Installer Agent

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've made a simple exe/pkg installer that simplifies the zxp installations for the users.

Reading some technical documents, it suggested the UPIA is the way to go. Bonus, it seems to be 'bundled' with the latest Adobe CCs.

However, it seems a little premature at current state?

Issues:
  1. UPIA might get stuck if Adobe CC isn't logged in. (once logged in, the UPIA tool works as expected)
  2. 'old' UPIA versions seem to be non-functional? with version 1.1.1.178 under Windows any command I've tried did nothing (/version /list __ /install)
  3. macOS: UPIA must run as the current user. This can be overcomed by "sudo -u $current_user" but it's surprising for a tool that suppose to install in the root /Library.

Thank you.
TOPICS
How to , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Hi @Giovanni5F88,

I'll send your comments along to the UPIA Product Manager and team.

• Issue #1 on your list is a long time-out problem that is being addressed.
  • Issue #2 I haven't heard of... and since I can't roll-back the Creative Cloud Desktop app I don't think I can verify this on my own. It's helpful to get some screencaps to share of the issue happening.
  • Issue #3: I think the default install location has changed from the /Library to the /User level, but I could be wrong.

Also, it wo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Giovanni5F88,

I'll send your comments along to the UPIA Product Manager and team.

• Issue #1 on your list is a long time-out problem that is being addressed.
  • Issue #2 I haven't heard of... and since I can't roll-back the Creative Cloud Desktop app I don't think I can verify this on my own. It's helpful to get some screencaps to share of the issue happening.
  • Issue #3: I think the default install location has changed from the /Library to the /User level, but I could be wrong.

Also, it would be very helpful for me to pass along to engineering your use case(s) for building a pkg/exe installer. Is it because you're installing additional files for the user outside the zxp? Is it because your zxp's are private (with no intention to list them on the Exchange)? Do your users face specifc trouble installing zxps (they do not have the Creative Cloud Desktop app installed, etc.)? Just checking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up, the "hanging" issue was addressed. I think it rolls out with Creative Cloud Desktop app 5.7, coming in April.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I've had no luck installing a ccx file from F64. I've tried creative cloud and UPIA, and tried putting copies in the appropriate directories to no avail. When I run the UPIA.exe, it says Creative Cloud is not running (it is running) and gives me 645 error, whatever that means. I've set the $user to me.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Just following up here...

quotemacOS: UPIA must run as the current user. This can be overcomed by "sudo -u $current_user" but it's surprising for a tool that suppose to install in the root /Library.

You were able to install to the roor /Library that way? The engineering team didn't think this was possible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erin!

Please forgive the "little" delay in getting back to you. I took some time to explore UPIA (currently version 1.5.0.44) on macOS, these are my findings so far:

1. hang if not logged in issue: can confirm it has been fixed now. UPIA just returns error -631;
  2. old UPIA versions being non functional: could not reproduce this one: 
  3. UPIA must run as the current user: I can confirm this one. If run as sudo, UPIA returns error -641. If run as normal user (or with "sudo -u $current_user") the CEP extension gets installed to the root /Library. 

On top of that, UPIA always returns 0 as exit code and prints the error messages to standard output. It would be great if UPIA could return actual error codes instead, to make scripting easier.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines