New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't let me import videos in AVI format:

"Failed to import file
Error message:
Unsupported format or damaged file"

I know that the file is not damaged because I have uploaded it on another computer with the same Adobe Premiere installation and it processes it perfectly.

Any ideas about what could be, please?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Can you try to convert your video using Media Encoder? You can convert it to .mov to keep the quality.

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention 😉  . When you convert the video to .mov, try then importing the .mov into Premiere and let us know how it goes 😉

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response Marek! I really appreciate it.
I thought about that option, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that since I have a lot of videos in AVI format and it's tedious. Each version of Adobe creative Cloud is supposed to get better, not worse. Besides that, I have an office colleague who also has Premiere from Creative Cloud installed and it works for him. So it shouldn't be a compatibility issue. Adobe is supposed to still support the AVI format, so it must be a problem that can be solved in Premiere. Having to pass all the videos through Media Encoder doesn't seem like an acceptable solution when I´m paying a big amount for Premiere. In the end, this type of thing is what drives piracy and using old versions. Nevertheless, thanks for your answer Marek!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I realise that this would be a pain and you don't want to do it every time. And I feel for you, and I know these things happen (bugs/glitches).

Maybe for now, try to see if Media Encoder will make it work. And if it does, you can queue a whole bunch of videos in Media Encoder and have it convert them all to .mov.

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines