• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JKL Editing, after hitting L the play head takes off without response

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Im editing in the new 2022, updated Geforce drivers (2070), 128 GB of RAM, i9 9900k...

It's a theater production... so there are a lot of times where I can just speed through a camera angle.

Typically use JKL editing here... but every other time I start the playhead, hit L L ... it just takes off without responding to either spacebar or K. It will run on for about 5-10 seconds not responding to any commands. 

Thoughts? Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the Media Cache and Media Cache files:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-clear-your-media-cache-in-30-seconds-in-premi...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did this help? I'm experiencing the same issues. Coming from Avid, this is infuriating. JKL seems completely broken - so I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

I'm running Big Sur, Premier Pro 23, and all my footage is transcoded to DNXHDLB.

I rely on editing by 'feeling', so without JKL i can't really do my job - very disappointed in Premier if this isn't something that's been totally fine tuned like in Avid.

Also - am I right that you can't press L (play) and then J (reverse) for an INSTANT reverse, instead it slows down? and you have to keep pressing J until it actually reverses?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is only hitting a few users, but hey, how cool, you're one of them!

And of course, you have all sympathy. On my computers, it's working exactly as designed, as it is for many. Which is a maddening thing, the variability between user performance at this point. I work also in Resolve, which is also getting some odd variability things.

As to JKL operation in Premiere, it is a bit different. You tap J or L to start playback, and if you tap the same one again you speed things up. To slow them down, you tap the opposite.

So hit L three times, want to get a bit slower, tap J once. Now you're only double speed.

To reverse you have to stop with the K key or tap the reverse key enough times to get 'past' the present motion.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Very disappointed it works this way, which makes no sense if you're trying to shuttle back and forth to find a sweet spot. Way too much tapping on the keyboard. Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've watched both Jarle Leirpoll and Christine Steele for short periods while they were trimming something ... and with the three fingers on JKL, they were working so fast I had trouble keeping up with what they were doing.

One hand on JKL, the other where they had a group of cursor movement key-shorts set together.

So ... some users seem to get very rapid use of this, jumping forth/back and doing all sorts of intricate trims rapidly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah it might be my setup. Big Sur. Premiere 23. 64GB Ram. I'm sure other specs are involved, but it's just not working well on my machine. Glad to hear it's working for other people though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines