• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JVC BR-DV3000 not working with Premiere Pro 2022

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a strange problem trying to capture footage from my BR-DV3000 MiniDV deck to Premiere Pro 2022. I tried it with iMovie and it works just fine, so I know the MiniDV deck is working properly..

When I try to capture in Premiere, I'm told that the capture device is offline, yet when I press play/pause/fast forward/etc in Premiere, it activates the MiniDV deck. I'm just not getting any video or audio in Premiere.

My device control settings in Premiere are:

DV/HVD Device Control

Video Standard: NTSC

Device Brand: JVC

Device Type: BR-DV3000U

Timecode Format: Auto Detect

I can't edit my "capture settings" as it is greyed out..

I am using the trial version of Premiere Pro 2022 v22.3.0 but don't see how that would have anything to do with the problem I'm experiencing. 

I've tried restarting my iMac, unplugging and plugging the miniDV deck, and I am now in the process of updating my OS from Big Sur 11.6.4 to Monterey 12.1.

I'm not sure what else I can do. Please help    😞

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure capture format is set to DV.

Try generic and (non)drop-frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried generic and non drop-drame and it didn't make a difference. I can't access the capture format settings unfortunately. When I open "capture settings" the capture format is blank and the box is greyed out for some reason.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture format is also accessible in the Preferences.

I assume this deck is connected through FireWire?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in front of my computer at the moment but I'm pretty sure that capture format wasn't available to access in preferences either.. yeah it's connected through FireWire and there's no issues capturing with iMovie so... hmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I figured out that Adobe no longer supports miniDV capturing. I'm going to have to capture using iMovie. But NOW the problem is that ever since I updated my OS last night to Monterey 12.3, my iMac won't even recognize the miniDV deck. Ughhhhhhhh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere still supports capture. I recently captured several tapes.

But as I seem to remember JVC and or deck can be a bit troublesome.

I believe Monteray does not support firewire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monteray doesn't support firewire?? So should I just chalk this up as a loss? I just spent $100 on the firewire cable and adapters 3 days ago too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No revert to previous OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I backed up all my important stuff on an external HD and iCloud and am now trying to revert to the OS that came with my late 2019 iMac using internet based recovery. I'm doing everything right and getting nowhere.

I reboot holding option, command, shift, R and am then asked to choose a network. Then I enter my password and the first try, it stayed on that black screen with the password prompt with a spinning white and grey ball next to it for about 24 hours before I tried again last night. I woke up to it on the same page but it asking for the password again. An hour in this time and the ball is still spinning. Not sure what to do.. I tried AppleCare again and they said I'm doing everything right and I definitely have a good internet connection afaik soooo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few people have mentioned the video will not show up in the GUI of Premiere Pro anymore. Try capturing even though it says offline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so I figured out a solution but still have one more question..

I am capturing in iMovie using Big Sur on my late 2013 rMBP and then airdopping those clips to my iMac where I then import them to Premiere Pro. Everything seems to be working but I'm just making sure I'm not hindering the video quality by doing this? iMovie has no capture settings. All the clips are .mov files.. No reason quality should be lost capturing with iMovie and editing with Premiere Pro, right?

Sorry if it's a dumb question. I'm getting back into video editing after a 10 year break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have told many people to capture with iMovie and import the video files into Premiere Pro. It is DV-25 video codec. Avid, Edius, FCPX etc. all love DV-25. Just so you know the M1 iMac will still support Firewire as seen in the video link below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHWHE3ilBbU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines